Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I stop using a password

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wordmaster

wordmaster

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

I have an older Gateway Performance 1300 desktop that I inherited. There is a password on it that has to be put in before it will even go to setup. I assume it is a computer password rather than an XP password (running XP Home SP3) but I can find no way to turn it off. In the setup, it says supervisor password uninstalled, user password installed, and below it has places to put in both passwords. I guess if it is the user password, I could change it, but I see no way to turn it off. No one else uses the computer and there is no need for this password, it is just an aggravation.

Any help on how to turn it off would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

Do you have the owner/user manual?

You could also go here:

http://support.gateway.com/support/default.asp

and enter the serial number on the back of the case. You may be able to download a manual there.

That model is over 10 years old, you may have difficulty finding support documentation.

The basic approach would be to reset the BIOS/CMOS jumper pin on the motherboard, IMO.

Worth a look, http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users