Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddrive Partitioning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clifftorn

clifftorn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

I've installed a new Western Digital 80 gig hd. I'm using win XP as the os. I also used the Partition Magic to partition it into 4 equal divisions. They are logical partitions, but I want to know if they can be used like the primary partions that are on the smaller master hd. What is the difference between Primary and Logical?

The partions are 18.6 gig in size and I originally installed the larger hd to add data storage space. I formated the spaces after partioning the hd. Did I do okay?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

This is a complicated topic that I'm not real sure about myself.

As I understand it, logical partitions have limitations that regular one's don't. They're benefit is that you can have more of them than you can have of the regular ones.

Here's a link about it: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/structPartitions-c.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

there are several terms that go with partitioning

primary partition >>>> extended partitions >>> logical drives

a logical drive is different from a physical drive / a physical drive (like an 80 gig maxtor) you can actually hold in your hand >>>> a logical drive is a drive partition like D,e,f, g, h, I etc they are drives as far as logic goes >>> but a logical drive can no tbe held in your hand; so to speak that should help to understand the diference.

there are primary partitions and extended partitions / extended partitions are the ones that can be configured into more drive letters

maybe this will explain better >>>>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-hard-disk-partitions/

if you can use them >>> you did fine !!!
joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users