Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Pro Cd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bintyre

bintyre

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

Bought a used IBM laptop with Win XP Pro on it. Worked fine for about 1 1/2 years, but now having major problems. Would like to format the HD and do a clean install of XP, however did not get the CD with the computer. A friend gave me a copy of Win XP Pro Corporate Edition. Did a Belarc and have the product key. Question: can I use the copy of Win XP and enter my product key? Will this work or not? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

Probably not. You will need an original disk, or sometimes an OEM version will do the trick.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

bintyre,

You can copy your CD of Windows XP and pass it out to 10 of your friends, you can use the same CD-key on all 11 installations. The first one to activate will work, the other 10 will stop working after a month. Thus, piracy is reduced.

For large corporations that wish to roll out XP on thousands of boxes this might be quite a problem, since they usually use network shares and install Windows on every computer in their company using the same CD-key. Thus, MS created a strain of XP that did not require activation. This version is usually called a "Corporate Edition" of Windows XP.

As luck would have it, software pirates all over the world are passing around one of the first corporate versions of Windows XP (known as "Devilsown or Devils0wn"), and so this single copy (with it's single CD-Key) can be found on hundreds of thousands of computers all over the world. Thus, piracy is reduced only amongst the non-warez-savvy. Typically, WPA will only affect legitimate customers, who are frustrated because Windows stopped working after they installed their new HP CD-Burner.

So if you want to sell or buy a copy of XP, make sure it's a virgin copy that's never been activated. Once deflowered, it's worthless to the buyer.

You can read the rest of the article here.

Be (Never Used Version) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:03 PM

You could always pick a legit copy of Windows 2000 Pro or about $60 or XP Home for about $100.
If there are work arounds we cannot discuss them here. That would be promoting an illegal activity. I hate to be blunt, but piracy is a subject we take very seriously. We don't even allow abstract talk on the subject.

Sorry.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:31 AM

Just FYI - here's the labeling scheme for the CD's:
RTM (SP0): http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=226
SP1: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=283
SP2: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=342
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 paulp575

paulp575

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

Last summer when I decided to reinstall WinXP Pro, I found out the CD I had was not a bootable CD!

I was uncertain as how to proceed. A computer friend of mine suggested I could always use the boot disks available from Microsoft. I went to Microsoft's web site and did find a downloaded that creates six floppy disks which you can use to get the very basic starting of an installation, but you do still need a Win CD! This worked just find and have not had any problems with XP. Yes, I did have a product key, but found out when I wanted to download the latest DirectX that my product key was one of those bootlegged corporate product codes, so I had to pay Microsoft $149 just to get a legitimate product code. They also sent me a 'Genuine Windows' CD. So I'm now good to go whenever I again decide to reinstall WIn XP Pro.

#7 bintyre

bintyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

Sorry I asked that question. Didn't think it would be illegal to use the Product Key for the XP software already installed on the computer. Guess one shouldn't buy a used computer without getting the CDs. :thumbsup:

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

You are correct. That is why computers with the software are more expensive. I was not trying to be mean. The EULA that come with Windows does require you to have the CD, manual, and COA at the site where the computer is being used.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users