Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to buy a new anti-virus software; which of these options is best?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dorsia

dorsia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

I've been using Norton 360 for the past 2 years with mixed results; it's done a pretty good job of protecting my computer but has still let a few things slip by that were only detected/eliminated with MBAM or HijackThis. My biggest problem with it has been how much it slows my computer down, as well as the "idle time" scans that run in the background that you apparently can't turn off...these scans have interfered with things like recording security camera footage while I'm away from home (there will be big gaps in the video from when the idle scans ran) or lengthy downloads that get slowed to a halt as a result. Also, after doing some research on it I've found pretty much universally negative feedback for Norton products, with most people calling it "bloatware" and saying it does more harm than good.

Anyway, my Norton 360 subscription runs out in a week and I'd like to switch to something better, but I don't really know what the best option would be and was hoping I could get some advice/recommendations here. I'd want the new software to do everything Norton 360 did, plus hopefully more protection against viruses/spyware/malware etc, without taking up as much system resources and with customizable features (i.e. no "Idle Time Scans" constantly running in the background). I don't need any sort of backup or web storage and also don't need any sort of parental control features. I'd be using it on my 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows XP Professional SP3.
So far these are the 5 options I'm trying to decide between:

Avast Internet Security 6 = $60.00 (for 3 computers for 1 year)

AVG Internet Security 2011 = $65.00 (for 2 computers for 1 year)

Kaspersky PURE Total Security = $70.00 (for 3 computers for 1 year)

ESET Smart Security 4 = $70.00 (for 2 computers for 1 year)

Avira Premium Security Suite = $80.00 (for 3 computers for 1 year)

Of these, AVG seems to be the most popular since a web traffic comparison of the 5 sites shows AVG being far above the rest with 11.8 million "unique visitors" with the next highest being Avast at 1.6 million and the rest under 1 million, although I'm not sure how much significance those numbers have in terms of a quality product. From what I've read so far I'm slightly leaning towards either Avast Internet Security or ESET Smart Security but can be swayed if there's a compelling argument for one of the others.

So again, any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by dorsia, 17 June 2011 - 02:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Just from a personal experience I used Kaspersky for 5 years plus. Last using KIS 2011 on 3 computers. I still had 9 months remaining on my subscription. I switched to ESET Smart Security three months ago and haven't looked back. Suffice it to say I won't be renewing Kaspersky. It's not a bad suite, just more bloated and less robust in features than ESET. I am quite satisfied with my ESET now.

I can't comment on any other products you mention.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

I have been a fan of Kaspersky for the last two years or so, but I have not used the "PURE Total Security" product yet, only the older anti-virus product and their small/medium business offerings. AV Comparatives offers a lot of information regarding several different anti-virus solutions, and I'm sure some forum members will be able to shed some more light from personal experience. The information can be a bit to read through, but they cover everything from detection to performance and rate each product based on their findings.

Best of luck!
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users