Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Error Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FrydekFrog

FrydekFrog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

Having a problem booting up my Windows Vista(Basic). Everytime I turn it on it goes into the Windows Error Recovery menu and ask if I want to enter safe mode, safe mode with command prompt,start windows normally, etc. Once I press enter on any one of them, it starts to load then suddenly takes me to the blue screen that reads:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk:

Once it gets to 100% it just restarts me to the Windows Error Recovery screen again.. If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening and howto fix this problem please respond.. I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

Worth a look, http://www.vistax64.com/vista-installation-setup/37241-top-c0000218-registry-file-failure-how-fix-vista-ulti.html

Louis

#3 FrydekFrog

FrydekFrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Louis, this will not work, cause the computer will not even boot up, it just restarts everytime..

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

I don't do Vista, so I can't tell you anything from experience.

The cures for XP situations with corrupt registry...are different, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 .

Personally, I would reinstall Vista. Contrary to what the Vista posters seem to say...this is not a typical RAM issue, it's a registry issue.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users