Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change Which Programs Start Up Upon Reboot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria

Victoria

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

I have a HP pavilion mx70 computer. It's been terribly slow and I think maybe too many programs may be running at once. How do I change this so that programs run manually instead of automatically.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:01 PM

Victoria,

Take a look here. That will give you some idea of whats there, and where to start your list. If you have questions or need assistance proceeding with what to remove or leave. Please post back. hth

Be (Start Me Up)(Rolling Stones)Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:08 PM

Hello Victoria;

Go To > Start > Run > type > msconfig > Click on tab that says > Startup, these are the progams that load when Windows boots.

Uncheck the program you due not want to start.

Hope this helps.

Winnipeg

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

I prefer using the startup tool that comes with Spybot Search and Destroy, since it provides a little more information than does msconfig, and will retain those items you uncheck for future reference.
It is fairly easy to cross reference those programs with the BC startup database referenced by Animal to aid you in determining what each program does and whether you really need it to launch on boot or not.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:53 PM

from experience.....programs like chatting applications (yahoo messenger, msn messenger.....mail startup ) would slow down your program...others would be like your personal firewall, virus scan, windows update...etc...all these program will affect your startup......

My advise to you is to take a look at the bottom right hand side where all the small icons are, the lesser you have, the faster your starup ( for easy reference) ...from there, determine wat program u wanna start upon booting up or u wanna start it manually then go to its individual settings to untick the options start applications automatically when computer boots up.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#6 Guest_Stallcup_*

Guest_Stallcup_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

In addition to reducing the number of programs which run at startup. several methods as how to accomplish that task having already been suggested, I believe you should also consider disabling those services, which also run at startup, that you do not need.

Go to START/MY COMPUTER. right click and select MANAGE. The COMPUTER MANAGEMENT window will appear. Select and click on SERVICES. Scroll through the services, and by individually highlighting each one, information concerning the service is provided. By right-clicking a service and selecting PROPERTIES, you can set the service to operate manually or automatically, or to disable the service.

As a general rule, services that you need to always run should be set to automatic, services that you want to be available to run should other programs need them should be set to manual. and services that you don't need should be disabled. Remember, however, that a service may depend upon another service(s), so you must learn those interrelationships by reviewing the available information.

The following web sites should provide the information you need to make the proper decisions:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

http://www.ss64.com/ntsyntax/services.html

http://www.z123.org/techsupport/xpservices.htm

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/win..._services_2.php

The reduction of startup programs and services will help free up resources. If you are still not satisfied with your computer's performance, you should consider additional RAM, assuming you have room for expansion. It is one of the lowest cost ways to increase resource availability.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

Bleeping Computer - Startup Programs Database
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users