Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop unable to boot, keep getting BSOD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 psycopuppy

psycopuppy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Ok folks, here is the thing. A laptop I'm working on got infected with a bad virus and was only able to boot into safe mode. Pretty soon the infection got so bad that it wouldnt even do that. Whenever I try to boot (in safe mode or normal) it loads for a minute or so and then the BSOD pops up saying UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE. I have tried using an external hdd to see if I could make it boot off of that (like a live cd) Nothing, all I get is a black screen with a blinking line in the upper left hand corner. I have checked on a couple of different systems to make sure that I created the boot disk properly. I did. I made sure that the laptop could boot from usb devices and I even made sure that it booted to the usb device. Now I'm stuck.

So here is my question:
1) Is there any way to back up the data on the laptop if I cant boot and using a live cd dosent work?
2) Any other suggestions on stuff I could try to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

I ran into this error for one of my clients yesterday, and you should be able to repair the drive by running CHKDSK. Do you have your original Windows CD? If you boot to it first, then load the recovery console, you can run CHKDSK /R at the command line and it should repair your issue.

Also, the percentage may drop back down to 50% occasionally as it runs, I researched this and it is based on the tests that are running in the background, and the process should take about 45 minutes to an hour. DO NOT interrupt it though, it will finish eventually!
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

FWIW: Unmountable Boot Volume errors...are pretty old-hat and have no necessary connection with malware.

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Your diagnosis may be wrong, you may just have a bard hard drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users