Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phoenix AwardBIOS cannot auto-detect my SATA HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlotte

Scarlotte

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I used Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBaN) to wipe a computer's hard drive so that I could install Windows 7 Home Premium on it; it originally ran on Windows Vista. However, after DBaN finished, the BIOS no longer can detect my hard drive, even though I did not tamper with any of the physical connections. It's a bit of an old computer but is for general use only with a Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz processor and 2 GB of memory.

When I go into BIOS > Standard CMOS Features, SATA-0 is empty though I know that the 320 GB drive is attached to it. It used to show up before DBaN. How do I make the hard drive recognizable again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,036 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

Are there any options in the BIOS to change SATA to Legacy or IDE mode? This can help when a SATA drive isn't recognized on an older system.

What is the make/model of the computer? And what is the version of the BIOS?
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 Scarlotte

Scarlotte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

The computer's a Dell Inspiron 530S with BIOS version 1.0.5. In the BIOS under Integrated Peripherals there's an option to change the SATA Mode to either IDE or RAID and it's set to IDE, but there's no "Legacy" option.

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,036 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

That's the setting I was thinking of, some computers display it as legacy, others as IDE mode. Dell has a newer BIOS available (1.0.18) for your system, but being that it worked before, I don't know if this will necessarily fix the issue. What option(s) did you select in DBaN?
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Proud member of UNITE

#5 Scarlotte

Scarlotte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

I used the 'automatic' DBaN mode to wipe my hard drive.

#6 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,036 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

Unfortunately I don't know DBaN well enough to know what happened, none of the articles I've found seem related to your issue. Did you consider updating the BIOS or just resetting it to factory settings? Do you have another PC you can put the drive in to see if the drive or BIOS is the issue?
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users