Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed Please

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cessna210

Cessna210

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Hi All, my name is Peter, I'm 60 years old and have a computer which is 4 years old. Everything has been working fine for me up until 3 weeks ago where I started to get total freezing on my computer to the stage where I have to physically turn it off. Now I'm also getting when I click onto my favourites, something really strange is happening. The "hand" moves around automatically for at least 15-20 seconds without me doing anything. Then I get another total freeze. It's so frustrating and I don't know what to do. Any help will be much appreciated but please be kind to me as I'm totally not computer savvy. Here's some info about my computer.

Microsoft Windows XP Home
Service Pack3
With regular updates

Computer:
AMD Athlon™ 64x2 Dual
Core Processor 6000+
3.00GHz, 3.00GB of ram
Physical Address Extension

I have Norton Anti-Virus Protection and I use Internet Explorer8 as my browser which also gets regular updates. Last week I installed Malware which came back with no problems found.

I'm at a loss and hope that someone can give me some advice please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

Well...any onscreen error messages when the system freezes...or before/after?

Freezes can occur for any number of reasons...the more clues the system provides, the easier it is to guess what may be askew.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

Does the same thing happen in safe mode? If not, please try this:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#4 Cessna210

Cessna210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hi Guys, I'm sorry that I've got no idea what you are talking about. :woot: I can only tell you that it can freeze any time no matter where I am. I have wireless connection and it says that the connection is very good. I do not get any error messages other than ocassionally "internet explorer cannot display this webpage". I usually send an error report but get no reply ? :angry: I also forgot to say that after reding on this good forum, I installed Microsoft Security Essentials and did a full scan with the report that everything is secure. Sorry to be a pain, I don't understand computer terms very much. :mellow:

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:01 AM

Do you now have BOTH Microsoft Security Essentials AND Norton Anti Virus installed? If so, UNINSTALL one of them. You never want more than one anti virus application installed.

Next. Reboot. As the system boots start tapping the F8 (function key) and you will be taken to the Advanced Boot Options screen. Once there, choose Safe Mode with Networking. Leave it in safe mode for a while and see if it freezes. Report back.

#6 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hi Peter,

First things first, when you say you have to "physically turn it off", are you referencing holding the power button until it shuts off? This should be a last resort procedure as it puts extra stress on your hard drive, there is a little arm inside of it that slams back in place when the power is turned off unexpectedly, which can also corrupt your files or computer if a file is still in-use. If you have to, you have to, but if you can avoid it, it's a good idea!

To boot the computer into Safe Mode, you need to bring up a list of operating system choices by pressing F8 before you see the Windows Vista logo when you're computer is starting up, and I've found the easiest way to do this is to restart the computer and press F8 every second or two until you get to the list. You should see options such as SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE W/ NETWORKING, and SAFE MODE W/ COMMAND PROMPT at the top of the list, and you can use your keyboard to navigate at this screen. Highlight "SAFE MODE W/ NETWORKING" and press enter on your keyboard, this will start to load Windows in a very basic mode for troubleshooting. The graphics may look large and out of place, do not worry, this is normal!

Once you have safe mode loaded, you should be able to login normally and see your desktop. Try accessing your favorites or doing any task that would normally freeze up your computer. Is it still happening? This helps us determine if it's a core operating system (XP) issue, or an issue with a program you have installed (intentionally or unintentionally).

**Edit: Looks like Allan and I are getting at the same thing, give it a try and let us know! He has a good point about Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials though, you only want one anti-virus app running INSTALLED at a time!

**Edit2: good catch Allan, I haven't had my coffee this morning!

Edited by whoabuddy, 17 June 2011 - 08:42 AM.

Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

**Edit: Looks like Allan and I are getting at the same thing, give it a try and let us know! He has a good point about Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials though, you only want one anti-virus app running at a time!

You want only one anti virus app INSTALLED

#8 Cessna210

Cessna210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

Thanks again guys. What I'm going to do now is print this page out to make it easy for me to follow your instructions. I will definitely for starters, uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware and will keep Norton in place as I've paid for it. I will report back as to how I go and yes, I sometimes have to turn the power off on the computer and sometimes even the switch on the wall.

By the way, I'm not getting emails of post reply to my thread even though I have ticked it ?

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

No, you can keep MalwareBytes - that's not an anti virus application.

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

IMHO, Norton can be a pig. It's the only program I ever bought and binned within 2 days.
I've used Avast ever since. That's all I wanted to say!

#11 Cessna210

Cessna210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Hi Guys,

I must apologize for the late reply. I have been busy cleaning my computer with air cans and I must admit that there was a lot of dirt in there. Now it is running quieter but the problem is still there. I have uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and also Malware, the Malware I can always install again later.

whoabuddy, I have tried to go to safe mode with no success after several attempts. I followed your instructions and used the F8 key before the logo came up. The following is all that appeared on my screen.

Please Select Boot Device:

1st Floppy Drive
CDROM:PM-HL-DT-ST DUDRAM GSA-41
SATA:3M-WDC WD5000AACS-00G8B1
SATA:4S-ST3250620AS

It then had the up and down arrows to move selection
ENTER to Select Boot Device
ESC to Boot using Defaults

I didn't click on any of these as none said "safe mode" and I didn't want to do anything wrong. :huh:

It is getting worse and it freezes at any time. I get all sorts of messages come up now. The recent message is that if I close now, I could lose data. :woot: I can be on any site you'd like to name, just searching through my favourites or in my email area. Once again, when I bring up my list of favourites, my cursor (shaped like a hand with pointed finger) has a mind of it's own as if someone else is controling it. It jumps from one place to another by itself. :o
Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Cessna210, 19 June 2011 - 11:09 PM.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

I still want to try safe mode and I'm not sure why you can't get there. Please try again: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users