Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting and keyboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 miyamotomusashi

miyamotomusashi

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:13 AM

I just recently brought an old desktop back up and running. I installed Vista Premium Service Pack 2. Afterwards I tried to install Wubi, which puts in Ubuntu as a separate operating system without having to mess with the computers partitions. The problem is that during bootup when the selections are there to decide which operating system you'd like, the computer doesn't see the keyboard strokes. This is strange, because while the keyboard doesn't have a light on as if its getting power, I can still go into bios, and boot sequence and what not. But as soon as I pass those options (ie. F12, F8, etc), I am unable to choose my operating system when asked which I'd like. Someone please help me understand what the problem is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:53 AM

Is the keyboard USB or PS/2? And just to make sure I understand how you have Wubi implemented, you are trying to load Ubuntu from the Windows Boot Manager, correct? If the keyboard is USB you should try looking through the BIOS for a "USB Legacy Support" option or something similar and enable it.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 miyamotomusashi

miyamotomusashi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

I can't believe i couldn't fix this earlier. I must be tired :). I could have sworn it was enabled when I checked, but....I went ahead and checked again and sure enough, both the mouse and keyboard were disabled. Thank you for the help! Oh and just to answer your question, yes....it was the boot manager that I was trying to get into ubuntu from. Thanks again.

#4 miyamotomusashi

miyamotomusashi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

How do I close this topic?

#5 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

How do I close this topic?

I believe a forum admin can do that, but if we stop replying, it will start to fall down the list and you've already answered that the issue is fixed so everything should be fine. Glad to hear you got it working!
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

FWIW: We don't normally close topics in the O/S and hardware forums...this keeps the information alive as reference material that may be useful for others, with same/similar situations or just those seeking the knowledge reflected within a given topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users