Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how many iexplore.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ntoolate

ntoolate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

How many iexplore.exe should be running at one time?
Sometimes there are 4 or 5 displayed in the windows task manager.
Recently, it seems that iexplore.exe will frequently use most of the available system memory.
Any information or links to iexplore.exe that will help my understanding of this process would be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Starting with IE8, when started, IE will open 2 iexplore.exe processes from the get go.
Consecutive processes will be added by opening more tabs.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:52 AM

If you have IE options set to open new tabs in the same process, your system is likely infected. Otherwise, as Broni says each tab opens an additional process.

#4 ntoolate

ntoolate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

If you have IE options set to open new tabs in the same process, your system is likely infected. Otherwise, as Broni says each tab opens an additional process.

I have IE8 set to open tabs...but what do you mean "in the same process." I looked at the options under settings for how web pages are displayed with tabs, but I didn't see anything about "in same process" or otherwise.
Can you advise?

I do believe it is possible I have an infection although I have run numerous virus scans including Norton, Malwarebytes, Super Anti Spyware Pro, Nortons' Eraser and I continuously update and clean caches, etc. However, it is an old computer and it has had many opportunities to pick up some malware. I have also had RSIT, Avenger, and Hijackthis run with assistance. NOthing serious found. Someoen wanted to run COMBOFIX, but others advise against it.

My computer runs well most of the time, it just seems that recently something has been using iexplore.exe and using all available memory. What else besides the IE browser uses that process?
thanks

#5 SDragon1984

SDragon1984

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have IE8 set to open tabs...but what do you mean "in the same process." I looked at the options under settings for how web pages are displayed with tabs, but I didn't see anything about "in same process" or otherwise.
Can you advise?

I do believe it is possible I have an infection although I have run numerous virus scans including Norton, Malwarebytes, Super Anti Spyware Pro, Nortons' Eraser and I continuously update and clean caches, etc. However, it is an old computer and it has had many opportunities to pick up some malware. I have also had RSIT, Avenger, and Hijackthis run with assistance. NOthing serious found. Someoen wanted to run COMBOFIX, but others advise against it.

My computer runs well most of the time, it just seems that recently something has been using iexplore.exe and using all available memory. What else besides the IE browser uses that process?
thanks

The process is the instance of iexplorer.exe that you see in task manager. If you see it in there twice, that's two processes. If you see it four times, that's four processes.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

If you suspect an infection - or just want to make sure one way or the other - please post in the Am I Infected forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users