Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Post - gives a long beep, then repeats

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmyb30

Jimmyb30

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

I have a self built computer : geForce 7050 MB, dual core intel processor, nvidia SXG210512D2-NM card, 2 GB RAM, 4 HD, 450 watt power supply. Suddenly it won't post -- just gives one long beep, then repeats.
I've inspected the memory and the nvidia card but don't see any obvious signs of overheating. I've read on some other Forums that it might be the CPU or the power supply, although, as I say, I've checked them and neither smells like it has overheated.

Any ideas?

jimmyb29

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

What does the motherboard manual say reference beep codes?

That chipset was used in a number of boards by different manufacturers, from what I see.

Louis

#3 Jimmyb30

Jimmyb30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

What does the motherboard manual say reference beep codes?

That chipset was used in a number of boards by different manufacturers, from what I see.

Louis

All I can find is that 1 beep can either mean bad memory, bad power supply or bad CPU! AWARE apparently doesn't have more than that, and that's all I could find on the geForce site. As I said, I've checked the memory, power supply and removed and replaced the CMOS Battery. I have an extra CPU and will try that tomorrow. Thanks for your comments!

jimmyb29

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

I believe this is a Sparkle branded Nvidia graphics card.

http://www.sparkle-usa.com/products_graphic_04.asp?cate=29&seq=93

It got a lot of good reviews on the various web sites I looked through, also if this pdf link works, this is your video cards specifications: http://www.sparkle-usa.com/downloads/SXG210512D2-NM.pdf

You have a 450 watt power supply, the card calls for the following:

Minimum 300W or greater system power supply (with
a minimum 12V current rating of 18A)

Did this system ever boot up? If so, did the problems start after you added or changed a piece of hardware?

Have you tried different configurations on the RAM sticks? In other words, have you tried only booting with one stick (if your have more than two) at a time? Have you tried switching one stick of RAM for another?

Most importantly, make sure the motherboard is not shorting out to the system case where it is mounted, this is a common problem and is hard to see visually, try loosening the screws that hold the motherboard in place and see if the system boots.

Low profile systems do not allow for much clearance with other metal objects, including expansion card brackets, those can short out to the system board and can be very hard to see.

The system will beep if it detects a shorted circuit.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users