Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Find Installed Applications VB .NET 3.0

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

I'm creating an Ultimate Portable Tool that will allow me administrate on pc's I'll be servicing. I'm stuck at finding a way of finding installed applications with .net Framework 3.0. I'll be using this to find the current version of installed antivirus main file, but also might be using it to find and uninstall the programs on a different part of my program such as "program utilities". I'll also need to know how to make my application portable in visual studio 2010. Ask if you need more info.

I've changed the framework to 2.0 now.

Edited by Nate15329, 16 June 2011 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

As far as I know a file is program is portable so long as (a) it doesn't depend on any external files, registry keys, or settings or (B ) carries all the files it needs alongside itself. Clickonce installers aren't by definition portable software, but you can just copy out the .exe file from bin/release after you publish.

This would still depend on having the .net framework installed on the system you're servicing; there's no way to run a VB.net application without .net. If you're going to work on earlier machines it may actually be worth compiling for as early a .net version as you can.

I can't comment on how to code the rest of your app.

Edited by JosiahK, 16 June 2011 - 04:25 PM.

Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#3 Nate15329

Nate15329
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Ok thanks, I'll switch it to .net Framework 2.0 since it's the lowest I can go on my machine. The lowest OS I want this application is to support XP as the lowest application and windows 7 64bit as the highest OS for now. I'll test the application portability on a virtual machine to make sure it can run with only the files with it. It would be nice if Microsoft will make visual studio to take a vb project and have a portable build option as well for debugging and publishing.

#4 Nate15329

Nate15329
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

I've found code from this webpage and I'll modify it to work. If I have to I'll make a batch file to install the .net framework prerequisite for my portable application.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users