Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install programs on Win 2003

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Phani Vadrevu

Phani Vadrevu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hi,
I have a Windows Server 2003, Enterprise edition, SP-1 OS. Whenever I try to install any new application on this, the installation runs until the extraction stage and then hangs or disappears. I have an Admininistrator account and also tried the run as option after unchecking the restrict privileges box. I tried installing Malwarebytes and Notepad++ so far. The former does not respond to click at all and the latter installation runs until the extraction stage and then hangs up.

Please help me in this issue. I would be happy to provide more information.

Thanks,
Phani

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lugscar

Lugscar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

Check Event Viewer for any listings that may show any anomolies for the times you were attempting to install the programs. Write the error messages or ID numbers down and then Google them. it may give you a clue as to what's happening.

#3 Phani Vadrevu

Phani Vadrevu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Event Viewer but there was nothing in it.

It keeps happening for every exe I try. Either they go until the extraction stage and hang or the sand clock pointer appears for a second in the beginning and after that there is nothing happenning. When I looked at the list of processess all the exes that I tried to install are still there. But there are no windows concerning those installations on my screen.

I have attached the list of running processes by running the following command for your reference.
msinfo32 /categories +SWEnvRunningTasks /report "%userprofile%\desktop\msinfort.txt"

Please help me with this.

Attached Files

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

Is there enough space left on the drive to allow for the temporary extraction of files?

#5 Phani Vadrevu

Phani Vadrevu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

Yes. There is enough space (about 1 GB) in all the drives for the installation.

This is the status of the notepad++ installation:
http://postimage.org/image/1gg87c2f8/

These are the processes being run (mbam is for malware bytes).
http://postimage.org/image/1q9g3vvqc/

What is going wrong here? Please help me out.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:30 AM

Notepad++ is a relatively small program to install.

Mbam maynot be able to run on MS Server OS's.

#7 Lugscar

Lugscar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

Any current Anti-virus applications running that may prevent the installation of new software? If so, disable them and try the install again.

As a secondary option, copy all the the installer files for each respective program to folders on the desktop(for ease of locating them, reboot the server in Safe Mode with networking and see if you can install them from there. It's possible something is interfering with the installation.

#8 Phani Vadrevu

Phani Vadrevu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Thank you Lugscar!! I never knew that safe mode would be so useful, but that did the trick. And yes there were a few remnants of an Anti virus application left installed in my system. I was able to uninstall that application fully after going into safe mode.

Thanks a lot helping me out guys.

Phani

#9 Lugscar

Lugscar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

Thank you Lugscar!! I never knew that safe mode would be so useful, but that did the trick. And yes there were a few remnants of an Anti virus application left installed in my system. I was able to uninstall that application fully after going into safe mode.

Thanks a lot helping me out guys.

Phani

Glad you got it resolved. Happy to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users