Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Transfers Between Drives.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gwelfryn

Gwelfryn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

I have upgraded a slave drive from 40GB to 250GB. Copying a 1GB file to or from the 40GB drive took 66 secs. The same operation with the 250GB drive takes about ten minutes.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Secondary IDE channel: CD/DVD drive.
Primay IDE channel: Drive C: - a Western Dig. WD800BB ATA100, 80GB, set as master.
Drive E: - a caddy-mounted drive set as slave; was a Seagate ST340016A Ultra ATA/100 40GB
now a Seagate ST3250823A Ultra ATA/100 250GB.

With "DMA if possible" enabled on both IDE channels, copying was fast (about 60 secs) using the 40GB drive in the caddy. Inspecting the Advanced Properties of the IDE channel, it shows DMA mode 4.

With the 250GB drive in the caddy, copying in either direction takes nearly ten times as long and programmes struggle with slow access. Burning a cd is incredibly slow. In the Windows progress splash-screen, showing animated paper flying from one folder to another during a copy, the paper jerks and stops for up to a second or so, indicating interruptions (?).

After using the 250GB drive, the Advanced Properties for the primary DMA channel in Device Manager shows DMA still enabled but the actual mode is shown as PIO, which accounts for the difference in speeds almost exactly if you look up the manufacturer's listed transfer rates. The old 40GB drive stays on DMA 4.

Any ideas what might be causing the interruptions and DMA failure? Is the above configuration of devices on the IDE channels optimum?

I've contacted Seagate but they have only come up with a fix from Microsoft which MS included in Service Pack 2 anyway. I am suspicious the drive may be defective.

O/S is XP, SP2 plus subsequent relevant updates. Very many thanks if anyone can help.
P.S. Happy New Year to all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

Is all of the 250 gB recognized in Windows Explorer?

If not, this link might help: http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglba.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

I'd get the 250GB drive connected directly to an IDE cable and run some manufacturer's diagnostics on it. Then you'll know if it's defective or not. There are a lot of possible connetion problems introduced with a caddy system.

Leurgy's compendium of Hard Drive diagnostics:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users