Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

irql_not_less_or_equal - XP repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slader99

slader99

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

Computer was BSOD immediately after windows started. Desktop would show, items would start loading to the lower right hand task bar and then BSOD with the message "irql_not_less_or_equal". Computer would restart and loop would continue. F8 on boot and and "last known good configuration" resulted in the same problem. Selected no reboot on error and was able to note the Stop:0X0...A (0X0...34, 0X0...1C, 0X0...1, 0X80501FF4).

Ran recovery console and did chkdsk which showed no errors. Booted in safe mode with no problems. This is when I took some bad advise which I now regret. I put in my windows disc and ran windows repair. Process got 16min from the end and during the registering components portion of windows setup BSOD with the same error message as before. Repeated attempts resulted in the same BSOD. Worst of all each of these sucessive attempts take 10 or 20min and get right till the end of the setup processes before BSOD'ing. I've removed all hardware save the graphics card, HD and CD drive with no change. Took out all the Ram and swapped in 1 known good stick - still no love. I've flashed my bios to the latest and greatest and disabled all the non-essentials in the bios setup.

I'm now thinking/realizing that my problem is due to a bad driver (when booting in safemode only the bare essentials were loaded and the problem wasn't evident?) Unfortunately when I try and do safemode now I get the error that windows setup can't be run in safemode and it restarts to windows setup. Is there a way for me to disable all the non-essential drivers in recovery console in hopes of completing the windows repair process? Using the listsvc command in recover console shows a whole bunch of boot and auto start items but I have no idea which ones are essential.....

Please help. Computer was working fine before this in ital BSOD and I'd rellay like to avoid buying a new drive and transferring everything over. (Although looking back I would have probably saved myself a day of labor =( )

Thanks,

Slader99

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

1) Please go back to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

2) Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 slader99

slader99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for the reply.

In my post I've stated that I ran chkdsk with no problems reported, I'll run it again with the /r modifier. In my post I've stated that I can't get windows to boot now as I've started the windows repair. I get hung up at the registering components portion of windows repair (windows setup). At what point do you think I can double click on a bluescreen view executable?

I can try and copy the executable over to the windows directory through the recovery console but I don't imagine that it will run in the recovery console.... Also I'm not sure of the value of it as I've already posted the details of the BSOD (error message and stop addresses)....

#4 slader99

slader99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

Fixed. This was a royal pain in the ass - I recommend that you save yourself a huge headache and just buy a hard drive and create a new installation of windows. Better yet don't do a windows repair as it had the potential to seriously F%$#! you over - In the future I would try a restore point first.... I pulled and swapped out every last piece of hardware on the machine. I flashed my bios and cleared my CMOS. I rebuilt the boot.ini file and disabled all the drivers I thought were the problem within recovery console. Still I was confronted time and again with the damn IRQL BSOD 20min into windows repair.

I deterimed the problem was registry/driver corruption. Wasn't able to complete the windows repair at first due to lockups during serial number entry. Had a legit OEM serial number but unfortunatly was using my only XP CD (a volume licenced copy - turns out serial numbers are CD specific). As this is a side note I'm not going to get into it much, only that if your having CD key issues with a legit serial make sure that your using the correct disc (if not you can create one with n-lite by extracting the contents of the the XP cd you have or have downloaded and chaning the PID field. Note that this PID is dependant on CD key, volume label and SP level. See here here: and here.)

Alright, I couldn't get past a blue screen that occured during the final 15 minutes of windows repair (registering components portion of setup). When I exited and tried to boot in safemode I got the message 'windows can't start in safemode'. Exited, booted from CD and loaded recovery console. Went to root (c:\) and typed in 'ren ntldr ntldr.old' after confirmation that the file had been renamed I navigated to my CD drive (e:\) and typed 'copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\'

I then used this process to make backups of system, software, security, sam and default.bak files (in essance your registry) and restore them to a virgin state. Turned my date back in the bios a month, booted in safemode and manually restored my registry from a known good checkpoint by moving the files of interest to a temp directory, corrected date in bios then booted to XP repair console and manually overwrote registry from the known good checkpoint in the temp folder.

Windows fired right up and I did all my windows updates. Computer is now running like a top!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users