Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible virus??

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 jenn3

jenn3

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

I think my computer has a virus...when i try to connect to the internet a red box appears saying "The page does not support your version of broswer Please update your software" and then there is a clickable button that says "Browser Update"...

This is driving my nuts and two of my laptops have the same problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hello.

I've removed your other topics for the time being. Let's address this computer only first.

Are you using a router in your home?

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 15 June 2011 - 10:06 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 jenn3

jenn3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

Yes i have a router from verizon

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hello.

You need to reset your router back to factory settings. The exact process varies from model to model, but usually involves pressing in a 'RESET' button with a pin for about 15-30 seconds. The button should be located somewhere on the device. You should consult your router documentation for details.

Note that you will need to reconfigure the router after performing the reset. Additionally, make sure that you secure the router config with a strong password. Again, consult your router documentation for details on this process.

After resetting the router, let me know if the problems continue.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 jenn3

jenn3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

Okay i will look for some documentation on how to reset the router. If i can't find anything i will call verizon for instructions. Also not sure what you mean about the password...is that the wep key and ssid?

thanks in advance

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

No, it is different from the wep key and ssid. The config password is what you need to enter to gain access to the settings where you set up the wep key and ssid. The documentation should make it more clear.

What's the make and model of the router?

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#7 jenn3

jenn3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

The router is Actiontec M1424WR

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

Here you go: User Manual - MI424WR Rev.G 30.16.0 v1

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#9 jenn3

jenn3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:40 PM

wow thanks so much...i definitely couldn't find that in the house. I will have a look and let you know how it goes...i am going to wait until the morning to reset the router just in case i don't know what i'm doing i can call verizon. I will definitely post and let you know what happens...thanks so much. Do you think i have a virus or just need to reset the router?

#10 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hello,

Hopefully the router reset should take care of everything.

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#11 jenn3

jenn3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

sorry i haven't replied until now but we've been major computer problems...called verizon and got a new router and still have the problem on 3 out of 4 computers..doing some reseach i think my dns server was compromised...i changed the number to 8.8.8.8 and alternate 8.8.4.4 on two of the computers so far and i am back online with both of them. I'm nervous though that it is not really fixed. Any suggestions or input.

#12 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hello.

Let's try and fix this.

You will need to do this on any computer having problems.

• Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Connections.
  • Right-click your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection (if you are using dial-up), and left-click on the Properties option.
  • Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
  • Click OK twice.
    :spacer:
  • Go to Start -> Run...
  • In the Open: field type cmd and click OK or hit Enter.
    • This will open a Command Prompt.
  • At the DOS prompt screen, type in ipconfig /flushdns and then press Enter (notice the space between "ipconfig" and "/flushdns").
  • Exit the Command Prompt.
  • Reboot your PC and try to open any website.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#13 jenn3

jenn3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

I did find that..i had found those instructions somewhere on this website last night and followed those steps...the only difference is, is that where it says "obtain dns servers automatically" the instructions said to put 8.8.8.8 so i did and all seems fine on all computers since yesterday...Before i changed it to the 8.8.8.8 it was on automatic...should i put it back to automatic? I did the flushdns all and all those steps as well and so far so good on all the computers since last night...Do you think i am okay and rid of whatever is going on?

Edited by jenn3, 23 June 2011 - 01:35 PM.

#14 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

It's better to let your computer automatically obtain DNS servers unless there's a particular service you want to use.

If everything is now working I would say you should be good to go.

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#15 jenn3

jenn3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

I'm just nervous that if i put it back to automatic it will revert to the bad one...the bad one was 188.229.88.7 and it seems word has it that is a virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users