Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post Virus Removal BSOD, Will Run in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 G.Mos

G.Mos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong section, I'm not quite sure where it fits. Ok, here's the issues I'm having after sucessfully (far as I can tell) removing a browser redirect virus.

System Stats:
Vista SP2 32bit Home Premium
Acer Aspire 5720Z 1.86 GB Dual Core
2.00 GB Ram
Always applied automatic updates.

The problem all started about two weeks ago when a virus from my girlfriend's PC ended up on my system. I shouldn't have passed my flash drive around between the two while defeating the virus on her system. I then spent the rest of that evening defeating a virus that pretended to be Windows Vista Security or something similar name wise. I was able to remove that using SuperAntiSpyware and AVG2011. Everything seemed ok after that for a few days until my browser started redirecting me from Google Search results. I did some research and performed multiple scans using AVG 2011, SuperAntiSpyware which found nothing. Tried MalwareBites which found a few issues. Then ran HitMan Pro 3.5.8 which found the malware, a trojan and a boot kit. Hitman had to delete on reboot and upon rebooting and making it to the log on screen, blue screened and started all over. I'm able to run in Safe Mode (which is how I'm posting this). I them attempted to run system restore from a good restore point which I used after the Windows Vista Security virus debackle and by running the following in admin cmd prompt: c:\windows\rstrui.exe /offline:c:\windows and received this error message:

System Restore did not complete sucessfully. Your computer's system files and setting were not changed.

Details:

System Restore failed due to an unspecified error.
The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

You might want to try system restore again and choose a different restore point.

I tried that with a few restore points and got the same error message. I'm assuming the blue screen may be linked to the "incorrect parameter" error but I'm not certain.

I've also ran MSconfig.exe and disabled all programs on startup. Rebooted as prompted and went through the normal boot until the same spot (the log on screen), and blue screened again. Went back to safe mode, ran MSconfig again and all the programs I disabled on start up are re-enabled.

I also just ran an sfc /scannow and it has detected corrupt files. I don't have a Vista Install disk since this is a second hand computer. If you all can provide assistance without the install disk , I'd appreciate I can save the $100 on upgrading to windows 7.

Thanks in advance for your help!

These are the observations I have thus far regarding this issue. I look forward

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2011 - 10:41 AM.
Emphasis added.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users