Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Connection Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcoms233

dcoms233

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

So I trying to connect my parents computer (which is very old) to the DSL they FINALLY just got at the house. It is an Emachines W3507 running Windows XP (sp 1 I believe). I have just gotten off with Frontier (ISP) help support and they couldn't figure out the problem. I have disabled all firewalls, I have power cycled and reset the router.. I have turned off all security and filtering on the router itself as well.

I have been through the command prompt numerous times and cleared out netsh and winsock. I have also tried to connect via a Hawking HWUDD8 antenna and it gives the same response as the ethernet port... which is "acquiring network address". I have tried forcing DNS , Ip and subnet mask via the tech support and that did not work either.

I'm not exactly CPU illiterate but I'm not a pro.. any help is appreciated. I was going to say screw it and reformat but I've lost the disk apparently and really don't want to order a new one for such an old computer.

Runnin Ip config from the command prompt results in a 0 Ip result (meaning that it gets no response). It is on a different machine than I am posting on so copy+paste is a bit hard:

DNS suffix- blank
IP- 0.0.0.0.
Subnet- 0.0.0.0.
Default Gate- blank

The router model is:
Sagemcom SE567
Wireless ADSL adapter
Part #- 060r-h550-a05

The DSL is connected via 1 ethernet jack directly to the CPU (less than 5 ft away). It has a phone line cable running downstairs to the house line acting as a "switch".

If you need more information let me know. I have tried booting into safe mode with networking but there is a password on the BIOS and boot menu that I have either set and forgotten or never had. The last time this was used successfully was about 4 years ago when I had to take it to college with me before I got my laptop. It has not been connected to the internet at all since.

Edited by dcoms233, 15 June 2011 - 03:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

Have a look at this link to see if it helps,

#3 dcoms233

dcoms233
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hey mate- thanks for the quick response. Funny enough the DHCP service was set to manual for some reason.. my parents must have done something funky to the computer. Funny I didn't think to check it :lol:

I'm not sure how the whole process works but you guys can close the thread or what-not (if a mod gets around to see this).

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

#4 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

Glad to be of help dcoms233 :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users