Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Download Helper 4.9

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

I'm running XP and everytime I open Firefox a "Video Download Helper" page opens up. I know it's a Firefox add on which I already have but It's a pain having to click this thing off everytime I go online. It's been happening for the past 2 days now.
Anyone know how to stop it from appearing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Do you have automatic updates enabled in Firefox? Is that page advising you of an update?

#3 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Yes Allan my updates are enabled in Firefox but it looks more like a web page than an update reminder.
This is what comes up http://update.downloadhelper.net/index.html

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

Okay. I know this sounds silly, but please make sure you don't have it set as a start page in Tools, Options, General Tab

#5 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:18 AM

I just checked and It's not set as my home page.
When I open Firefox the Download Helper 4.9 tab appears at the same time and before it has a chance to open I click it off and then my home page appears.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Every time you start your browser, you get directed to the www.downloadhelper.net site

This is not due to our extension itself (if not convinced, disable DownloadHelper and you will still have the problem), but to the fact Firefox resumes a browsing session where the page was opened.

The first thing to try is to quit Firefox the clean way, from menu File/Quit.

If you are still having the problem, check the Firefox startup parameters to ensure it does not reload a previous session.

http://www.downloadhelper.net/support-expert.php

#7 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

Yeah thanks for that Tork I'll try that and get back to you.

#8 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

Well I'm not exactly sure what they mean by Firefox start up parameters. I've looked all over the tools section in Firefox but couldn't find anything that even resembled a start up parameter.
Anyone know what that is?

#9 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:03 AM

You may be reloading saved tabs from a previous session so check your firefox startup options.

By Startup parameters they are referring to this under Tools> Options > General tab > Startup section When Firefox Starts and then there is a drop-down menu where if its set to Show my windows and tabs from last time Change this to only show home page, click OK and see if that clears the video download helper window loading every time.

#10 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:45 AM

Hi Tork thanks for the reply.

It does have "Show my home page" already in the drop down menu however, I changed it to "Show a blank page" and tried again then changed it to "Show my windows and tabs from last time" and tried again but didn't make any difference. That annoying Download helper tab still keeps appearing. :angry:

I have a laptop running Windows 7 in another room which is connected to a wireless router to this desk top and it doesn't happen on that which makes me think that it is the settings on this desk top but could be wrong of course.

#11 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

Rocking Rodney
I found this on the developer's page, another user has the same problem and the developer asks the user to contact support to solve the issue. Suggest you post to the developer and see if this can be resolved.

Upgraded to 4.9 and continually got an extra tab at firefox startup directed to downloadhelper website. Had to revert to 4.8.6 to fix problem.

by mig (Developer) on June 15, 2011 #

This is strange, no one else reported that error. Could you contact our support at http://forum.downloadhelper.net/ to solve the issue ?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/reviews/293371/

#12 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for that tork I'll check it out.

#13 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

Hmmmm it seems there are a lot of people having the same issues as I have with this add on.

My version of Firefox is 4.0.1, a lot of people have version 4.9.1 which seems to fix this issue with Downloadhelper but creates issues with something else, so they revert back to version 4.8.6.
I might just sit tight for now and see what develops. I'll get back to you if I find a fix.

Thanks for your help guys. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users