Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Craaawwwlll

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pogmothon

pogmothon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

Overnight my computer went from normal operation to super slo-mo. 30 minutes to boot up, 20 minutes to open a file. It doesn't completely crash. Running windows XP Home on an HP Pavilion xt 963, a cheap but reliable machine. 1.2 ghz, 512 ram. Windows xp Firewall and Norton Internet and NAV 2005.
On 1/1/06 I went to Microsoft to update any patches etc, on1/2/06 I reinstalled Norton AV 2005 (thought I was upgrading to 2006 but it turned out to be the 2005 that was already on there.
I did the disk cleanup and defrag. Took about 6 hours but it finished okay. I noticed the small icons for norton internet and antivirus were missing from the sys. tray. I uninstalled both (took over 10 hours for each). I did a system restore, no joy. I tried a system recovery but process wouldn't complete saying that I didn't have a partition. (My computer has a hard-drive recovery not a cd.) I tried running in safe-mode, no better. I went into device manager and everything stated it was running normally.
I checked the Task Manager and it is showing CPU usage 100%...and the processes tab shows that Task Manager is using 90% . I cant access internet with that machine. All other programs appear to be accessible....eventually. Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

Can you enter Safe Mode with Networking?? Go to Start>Run>msconfig>Startup(tab). Uncheck everything bt you antivirus. If you don't have an AV on your computer download AVG Free Edition Antivirus to a CD and install via CD. There are several other programs but ;ets see if Safe Mode with Networking gets you there first.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 pogmothon

pogmothon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:03 PM

Opened in the Safe Mode, doesn't look like the regular "safe-mode" with safe mode written in all four screen corners. Doesn't mention anything about networking though.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:41 PM

Went you turn your computer on tap the F8 key until the Boot Menu comes up. The second choice will be Safe Mode with Networking. This will allow you to access the internet and update you security software.

#5 pogmothon

pogmothon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:11 PM

I logged in to Safe Mode with Networking. I tried accessing internet and it wouldn't connect.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

In the control panel what are the Internet Option set to. What Security Level.. Low Medium-Low Medium?

#7 pogmothon

pogmothon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

It's set at Custom Level that i believe was configured by the Norton Internet Security software that I had running on there.

#8 pogmothon

pogmothon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

....also, I am able to access internet at this time.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

I would recommend, posting a HJT log in the HJT Forum. Go to and read the following.. Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. Once you have the log prepared post in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users