Jump to content
Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:47 AM
Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:51 AM
Lets try doing an online scan to see if it finds anything else that the other scans may have missed.
Please perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
- If using Mozilla Firefox, you will be prompted to download and use the ESET Smart Installer. Just double-click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to install.
- Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer/Firefox as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
- Click the green button.
- Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
- Check .
- Click the button.
- Accept any security warnings from your browser and allow the download/installation of any require files.
- Under scan settings, check and make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked.
- Click Advanced settings and select the following:
- Scan potentially unwanted applications
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth technology
- Click the Start button.
- ESET will install itself, download virus signature database updates, and begin scanning your computer.
- The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
- When the scan completes, push
- Push , and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
- Push the button, then Finish.
- Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply. If no threats are found, there is no option to create a log.
Edited by invision, 15 June 2011 - 11:52 AM.
Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:33 PM
Edited by quietman7, 15 June 2011 - 12:36 PM.
Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:33 PM
Edited by scrained, 15 June 2011 - 03:36 PM.
Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:23 PM
The quarantine folder is part of ComboFix. The tool is updated frequently to deal with new malware variants and to correct possible safety issues when using it. Outdated versions should never be used or you risk damaging your computer. Once ComboFix is used to rid a machine of malware, there is no reason to keep it. ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for viruses.
My question is is the quarantine folder save to keep or should I take steps to remove it? Are there other reasons why I should uninstal Combofix? is it a risk just having it installed?
A Risk Tool detection is a very broad threat category. When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program has the potential for being misused by others or that it was simply detected as suspicious or a threat due to the security program's heuristic analysis engine which provides the ability to detect possible new variants of malware. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. Since these detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program, in some cases the detection may be a "false positive". If you installed or recognize the program, then you can ignore the detection.
(comment by myself: these were files associated with a very expensive program I wanted to test cheaply, hum, no danger in riskware tools right?)
Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:52 PM
Edited by scrained, 15 June 2011 - 05:54 PM.
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users