Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart Defrag

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Cress

Ben Cress

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

Hey,

Recently I've had to deal with lots of our clients getting hit by Smart Defrag or viruses like it that hide files and delete all of the start menu shortcuts.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-defragmenter <-- This guide has saved me mucho time, thank you for that!

My question is: When I finish the cleanup of the infection and run unhide.exe I've noticed that the start menu will resume showing the folders but all of the actual shortcuts are missing from the folders still.

I've read through lots of posts by different individuals that you've helped fight the infection and tried all of the tips and tricks I've seen but still have not found the resolution for this issue.

Do you know a quicker way to get the shortcuts back in place than recreating them all?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 invision

invision

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

They can be found in a folder named smtmp inside:

(XP)- C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp
(W7)- C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Temp

These will be there unless you have removed temp files / folders

#3 Ben Cress

Ben Cress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

I will give that a run right now - thanks very much for the heads up.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users