Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are these Trojans/viruses etc?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daisydo

daisydo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

Hi

I have AVG 2011 (bought version) installed by computer shop 2 yrs ago. Has been fine until 10 days ago and it reminded me subs would run out in so many days. When doing an update as usual, a box came on screen to tell me to download a couple of things (can’t remember what but would be added to interface). I don’t usually click yes but this time I did. A day or so after that an AVG box came up telling me how many days left to renewal (same as the interface was telling me) however, I could not get the box off screen by any method and it didn’t have “renew later” option either, so I had to shut down the computer. This box appears at intervals and won’t be closed.

Suspicious about this, I mailed AVG support and they asked me to do a autorunsc and post to them but I couldn’t do it as it wouldn't work and they never mentioned what this rogue box could be. Eventually I did a MicroTrend Housecall full system scan and it found 17 AVG Trojans which it fixed but one suspicious file they mentioned could not be fixed. On further investigation I could not find the suspicious file that Housecall ignored which is YSIGNU~1.EXE but I am assuming it is still on my computer?

Since then I have looked into the firewall and this is on there for allow all. AVGINSTALLEDAPPX.EXE I cannot find anything on google about this so I am feeling it’s a baddie am I right and if so can I block it accessing through the firewall?

I also looked into the AVG10 folder and in there under the following are these four files which I find strange because the “Picture It!” thing is for my photo editor/camera etc but these are in the AVG10 file:

update-payment-details-btn
update-payment-details-btn2
update-payment-details-btn3
update-payment-details-bkg

I am really needing help over all this and being a technophobe it’s difficult for me to do much. What I would like to know please are all the listed things Trojans/viruses etc and if so what can I do about them?

I am worried about renewing with AVG now I’ve discovered all this, I can only gather that when I downloaded additional AVG things from what appeared to be a legitimate box from AVG actually downloaded the problems.

I would really appreciate your help please, someone has said that it seems like AVG support and techies don’t know about this and what it is and I guess that’s why they haven’t come up with any answers. They want me to do something to send them files and also download Gmer “thingy” which I’m loathe to do after the AVGproci wouldn’t work.

Thanks for reading this and if I can give you anymore info I’ll gladly do that. My AV runs out in about 11 days so I’m getting really stressed here.

Info: Win XP Service pack3

Best wishes
daisydo

Edited by daisydo, 15 June 2011 - 09:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

AVGINSTALLEDAPPX.EXE I cannot find anything on google about this so I am feeling it's a baddie...

It's probably legit but you can get a second opinion to determine if its malicious or not. Go to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze file now.

These all appear to be files related to AVG10 as I have noted them in diagnostic logs but that folder should have been removed before installing AVG2011.
c:\program files\AVG\AVG10\Notification\update-payment-details-bkg.png
c:\program files\AVG\AVG10\Notification\update-payment-details-btn.png
c:\program files\AVG\AVG10\Notification\update-payment-details-btn2.png
c:\program files\AVG\AVG10\Notification\update-payment-details-btn3.png
It is not uncommon for issues to arise when older versions of an anti-virus are not completely removed before installing a new version. This is especially true during renewals and licensing.

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

NOTE: With the release of AVG 2011, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Unlike previous versions, AVG 2011 cannot be effectively disabled to prevent it from interfering with other security tools...after restarting the computer, AVG re-enables all protections. Read these related discussions:There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi BJ

~Thanks for your advice and information. I cannot find the location of the AVGINSTALLEDAPPX.EXE file so can't do what you recommend. As for the 4 other files, the computer shop did the installation of 2011 in 2009 so I don't know what happened there but one thing I can't understand is why are they under Microsoft Picture It! files in the AVG10 folder..seems strange to me?

As for the YSIGNU~1.EXE file I haven't a clue where it is so can't even test that one, this isn't looking good for me at all because I'm not confident in doing all this on the PC anyway - sigh.

Can anyone recommend a good bought antivirus that I can get the shop to install for me, one that won't cause me too many problems? I'm annoyed about AVG as it's been until now but then the security issues on the internet are getting worse, too many clever people out there using their knowledge to destroy things rather than do good and that tees me off no end. Sad people out to mess other people up.

best wishes
daisydo

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is also a good choice.
If you're looking for a free alternative, I recommend any of the following:
Supplement your anti-virus by performing scans with trustworthy security tools like:You can also supplement your security tools and get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users