Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Fable: The Lost Chapters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BadBeat

BadBeat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:36 AM

After I graduate (in the game that is) and get to use the exp spending platform for the first time. I stand on it and select strength, speed or will. At this point, depending on what options I hold the cursor over, the game crashes with nary an error message. As you may know, there is a little looped movie that plays on these screens. On all the ones that cause the crash, the movies don't load.

I contacted Microsoft about it. I was told to update my grapics and sound drivers and try run the game while in Diagnostic Bootup. (Fair enough, they were pretty old) Afterwards, not only did I have the same problem, but the shadows on the game were all screwed up and I kept getting an error message. Told Microsoft about it, they told me to get an unsigned driver cause the error message meant the signed was was damaged.

Now, I still have the problems in game (crashes and shadows) I have tried contacting Microsoft but haven't heard anything from them in ages.

Any suggestions would be gladly recieved.
Behind you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

Well, I just recieved a reply from Microsoft.

Hello

Conor here from Microsoft Technical Support,
If you would like a refund please follow the details below.
If you would like to swap the game for another Microsoft game please view this
webpage and
choose another game and let me know. www.microsoft.com/games/pc

In other words, they cant help me. Sucks, but no one on any of the forums I post on can help either. So looks like I'll have to return it.
Behind you...

#3 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:41 PM

hmmm this is strange i would have said its the drivers but tis obviously not, just an idea have you tried changing the resolution, a strange idea i know but i had a similiar problem on an old command and conquer game and it worked for me.
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#4 Logik

Logik

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:32 AM

If you haven't sent it back yet, I would try a fresh uninstall/reinstall if nothing else works. MS also put out a newer version of DirectX not too long ago.

#5 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:41 PM

Well, I tried changing the resolution in game (and on desktop just in case), doing another fresh install (just in case), downloaded the dec direct X. Also, I found an article in PC Gamer UK about problems with Fable. So I also ran it in compatability mode, windows 2000, whilst using win xp default theme and turning down my sound acceleration slider in dxdiag.
Still the crashes and shadow problems.

So I decided to see if I could find the videos that wouldn't play in game and try and run them outside. Most ran fine, but all the ones that cause my game to crash, stall my computer when I run them outside the game too. I'm going to assume that the CD is scratched (although I cant see anything on them) and go get a replacment.

Thanks for the advice though.
Behind you...

#6 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:07 AM

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I know the topic is now as old as the hills, but I did sort of get it fixed in the end. The problem with the shadows was fixed by just re installing my old graphics drivers and the original crashing problem was due to 3 corrupted movie files, so I just moved them out of the folder (as they weren't deletable) and made 3 copies of another of the movies and renamed them as the 3 corrupted movies.
Behind you...

#7 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

It's good to hear that you fixed the problem. :thumbsup:
People live to learn, and learn to live...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users