Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What browsers take the least amount of memory to run?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:37 AM

I'm done with Internet Explorer, finally made the switch to Firefox. I have a few AOL email accounts that I have to switch back and forth too often and it's been a pain to do. I need a 2nd browser that runs using the very least amount of memory possible. Something with a very small memory footprint. I've tried Chrome, Opera, Safari, and this QtWeb browser I'd never heard of. None of which are small programs.

I just want to use one small browser to be on an AOL account that I have linked to my craigslist's posts and leave it running all the time so I wont miss an email.

Aren't there some small, safe, browsers out there that take like maybe 15-20Mb's of memory? I'm on an old XP with only 1-1/2Gb's of memory.

Can I get some suggestions as to some browsers I can try that will work and not take up much memory?

Thank you!

Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:41 AM

K-Meleon is designed specifically to use the bare minimum in system resources. It's not as feature-rich as most other browsers out there, but neither is it spartan.

It uses the same rendering engine as Firefox, but uses significantly less memory. For example, on my computer Firefox (with scores of addons and other stuff) starts out at about 130MB of RAM, Internet Explorer 9 with no addons starts with about 60MB, and K-Meleon starts off with about 18MB of RAM.

Edited by Andrew, 15 June 2011 - 02:47 AM.

#3 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:24 PM

K-Meleon is designed specifically to use the bare minimum in system resources. It's not as feature-rich as most other browsers out there, but neither is it spartan.

Thanks Andrew. I came across that one a few days ago but was hesitant to try it since I'd never heard of it before and didn't know if it was safe to use. Since you recommended it though, I installed it and have it running & signed into AOL Mail right now. It's memory usage has jumped around (as high as 56Mb's and low as 9Mb's) but I think it finally settled at about 28Mb's. I didn't need any bells or whistles (I have Firefox w/add-ons for that), I just needed a light on memory supplemental browser and thanks to you, I believe I have one now that's gonna work just fine. Thanks again! :thumbup2:

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

Glad to hear it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users