Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.NET Framework installation, Nvidia driver updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Flogger23m

Flogger23m

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:27 AM

Hello. I have been having some issues with my PC for a while. Certain programs can never seem to install on my Vista 64bit Service Pack 2 Home Premium OEM system. Examples of such programs are recent versions of Nvidia's drivers (and the Nvidia control panel on those older drivers that do install) and the Unreal Tournament Physx map pack addon.

I am wondering what can cause such programs to fail from installing. I have started to think that it is that I only have .NET Frame Work 1.1 installed. So I have tried to update to .NET Frame Work 3.5, 2.0, ect. but they all seem to fail to install as well.

So I am wondering what is likely the issue here, and what can be done to fix it? Does it sound like the Vista install shield (program, or whatever it is called) is corrupted?

Do note that the vast majority of programs install just fine. But there are some that can't. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PC WhizzKid

PC WhizzKid

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

Are you sure that you are using 64-bit installs?
PC Specs:
Model: Advent CPU: 2.4 Quad-Core P4 RAM: 4.0GB Graphics: 256MB On-board ATI X1200 Sound: On-board Hard-Drive: WD 500GB Monitor: 19 (1400x900) Windows: 7 Home Premium.

#3 Flogger23m

Flogger23m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

Are you sure that you are using 64-bit installs?

For the Nvidia drivers? Yes, as I've downloaded and tried them roughly 30-40 times with 10 or so sets of drivers. For .NET Frame work? I am pretty sure as well. It seems to get roughly halfway before the installer crashes. Under the Uninstall Programs List, I can see .NET Framework 1.1. I am guessing I need the newest versions correct? If you can, can you link me to what I need exactly to update them? I am sure I downloaded the right installers, but it can't hurt to see if I did in fact download the wrong ones.

I am wondering if it is an issue with the Windows Installer? The registry? And if so what steps would I have to take to fix it?

Edited by Flogger23m, 15 June 2011 - 09:27 PM.

#4 Flogger23m

Flogger23m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

Would running SFC scan now be of any help?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7

Download, install from desktop.

Louis

#6 Flogger23m

Flogger23m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7

Download, install from desktop.

Louis

Didn't work, same issue.

Read my thread here for more info on what I think it might be:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1616297

Essentially, what do I have to do to repair the Windows Installer Service? I believe this is the cause of my issues. If someone can walk me through the steps I would really appreciate it.

Edited by Flogger23m, 17 June 2011 - 03:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users