Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Dependable long-lasting multi-use desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 underthesea

underthesea

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

ISO: Dependable long-lasting multi-use workhorse desktop

I have a 1 year old monitor, so won't need a new one.

I have owed two computers, a Gateway 2000 bought in 1995 that lasted 8 years, and a Dell Dimension 2350 bought in 2003 that has lasted 8 years. Both were relatively trouble free. I hope for similar experience with my new computer.

I'm also hoping to buy from a reputable company (does not need to be one of the big companies) with good tech support and that treats their workers well- not a company that uses sweatshop labor.

I'd really like an I-Mac, but it's not in the budget.

My budget for the new computer is:
Prefer $500 range- could go up to $6-700 if I have to.

What are the primary uses for this computer?

Internet & email
Word processing, desktop publishing
I'd like to be able to burn CDs & DVDs
Watch movies
Storage of many pics & videos, perhaps a little music.
Graphics work- currently using Gimp, would like to get photoshop.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
As above

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
I’m not a gamer, but I have a six yr old son who may eventually get into some kid games.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
Tend to have several windows open at once.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Currently have about 12-13 GBs of pics & videos. Very little music.

Edited by underthesea, 14 June 2011 - 10:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 underthesea

underthesea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:41 AM

Bump! My hard drive on my current computer is dying, as in:

Problem detected on a non Hitachi disk drive
Please contact your HDD supplier for additional support

Disposition code= 0 x 72

I need help before I get the bsod please!

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2084

Has a large hard drive for your files, able to handle photoshop and is most likely be able to play our kids games in the future.

As for your hard drive, please immediately backup your data on a external hard drive or any other portable devices.

Edited by killerx525, 16 June 2011 - 10:49 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 underthesea

underthesea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

As for your hard drive, please immediately backup your data on a external hard drive or any other portable devices.

Thanks! I'll take a look at the Cyberpower. As for backing up, I've got everything on a Maxtor, plus, because I'm paranoid about losing stuff, I'm using Mozyhome to back-up everything online too. :thumbup2:

ETA: I just looked at the Cyberpower. Hummm, not to be fussy or anything, but I'm not a gamer at all, I'm a 50 year old lady. That just doesn't LOOK like an old lady computer. :lol:
If my son gets THAT into gaming, he can buy his own d@mn computer!

Any other suggestions?

Edited by underthesea, 16 June 2011 - 08:30 PM.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

Acer Aspire AM3400-U4132

Perfect for photoshopping because of the quad core cpu and the 6GB of ram.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

Since you already have experienced Dell and Gatway systems...with positive results...I have to wonder why you are soliciting ideas from strangers who probably don't understand your desires/needs.

"Dependability" and "long-lasting" are terms that are appropriate for any number of concepts...but I don't think personal computing is one of them. The future that was yesterday...is today...and it's likely to continue that way as systems continue to evolve. That's why warranties are an important consideration, along with customer service, when purchasing OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) systems.

Louis

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

And that is why i chose that Acer because of their customer service and warranty.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users