Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection, No connection, Limited Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Yeah .. I've bothered everyone before about this cr@p.

This Vista 64BIT is on the USB netgear WG111V2 adapter.

The host pc is a windows 7 with the dsl modem and netgear WGT624V3 router.
I haven't yet bought a new router and wireless adapter but .. SOON!

It has gotten to the point that I don't know WHEN I am going to drop my connection and Here's a twist: Sometimes When I am fully connected (according to diagnostics) I can't open any pages with any browser!?

Everything says connected to local and internet but I can't open any pages!?

The following are screen shots of my IP (or non IP) connections as I run into problems.

Each picture says what it is at the time .. Working 1 is before my first disconnect.

Working 2 is after I've managed to get back up.
Limited is just that .. Local connection only.

Not Working speaks for itself and Options is the list that windows brings up for possible fixes.

The only things that seem to work (once in a while) is the "reset network adapter" or "get a new automatic IP address".

Sometimes rebooting everything (modem, router) works too.

I am hoping that someone can compare these charts and seem anything that might stand out as to a problem?
Thanks Everyone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FoxtrotCharlie

FoxtrotCharlie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Morning MrClose,

I'm a bit of a n00b about networking, so I apologize in advance. That said, if I were in your shoes, here are the things I would try:

Stop using DHCP and choose a fixed IP. Depending on how your firewall / router is set up, this may not be an issue, but I always like to test on a fixed IP until I can confirm what the issue is. If your connection works for a while and then stops working, it may be that another user is stealing your IP via DHCP. Are you on a larger network where this may occur, is it a home network? If you are the only user, this shouldn't be an issue. But I still don't like DHCP most of the time. That said, if there is poor administration on your network, you can even have IP stealing with fixed IP's. It all depends on the situation. :)

If the connection works for a while but then stops working periodically, see if flushing the DNS helps stability any. If it does, you could maybe make up a batch program to flush the DNS periodically.

When testing for internet connectivity, don't use the browser. It is much faster to ping in DOS. You will have to ping a known site that you know will respond, as many sites won't return packets. I always just ping Yahoo to see if I have connectivity. Also it eliminates the possibility that the problem is with the browser.

Also when using either the browser or ping to test, use the actual IP address and not the domain name. That way you can eliminate DNS as a potential issue. If you can connect with an IP but not the same domain URL for that IP, you can mostly assume that the DNS isn't resolving correctly, and therefore it may be a DNS issue.

Again, I'm not super well versed on all this, but I thought I would offer at least my two cents. It probably won't solve your problem, but it might give you some ideas. Good luck.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it ot pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

Thank You FoxtrotCharlie

I am on a simple 'at home' setup (network).

I don't know a thing about how IP's are assigned other than to say that I think it is a Verizon dsl thing.

You might be a NooB to networking but 'I' am a complete idiot and have No idea how to do anything .. as far as pinging, flushing the dns or using that DHCP thing.

Isn't the IP assigned by your dsl provider?

I am on a wireless usb adapter so I can't see where I can do or change anything?

Again, Thank You for your help.

MC

#4 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

C'mon Geeks

I brag about you guys All The Time .. Please help.

It has taken me seven times now to post this.

I have learned a lesson though .. after this post.

I write my post in notepad and then paste it here.
(Still took three tries to get it posted though)

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

When the connection fails or screws up are you able to ping the router. From the command prompt type ping 10.0.0.1 sorry for the delay in a response it was a busy weekend. Let me know what happens.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users