Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Usage Randomly Hits 100%

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ray AP19

Ray AP19

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

It seems to happen for no reason at all, occurring when I'm in the middle of watching a video, browsing the web, etc.

Prior to finding this message board, I had used AVG anti-virus (previously Symantec) to scan my computer, and while Symantec used to find infections every now and then (and would immediately delete them), AVG has found none. I stopped using Symantec because almost every time the program opened for a daily scheduled scan, the CPU Usage would spike and it would slow down the computer to the point of even being able to run the scan at all.

I downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes and immediately ran a full scan. The program found, quarantined and deleted 6 infections. I allowed the program to restart the computer and after doing so, I began to use it as I normally do (surf the internet, watch videos, etc). Everything seemed to be going smoothly, and I thought I had found a solution, until about 10 minutes later and things began to act up again. At one point, my Task Manager "Processes" list looked like this:

Posted Image

Now I don't know everything about computers, but I was under the impression that Windows Explorer (i.e., folders, taskbar and desktop) generally should NEVER be that high. The same thing happens sometimes with the Task Manager itself, Firefox, and some Processes whose nature and purpose I'm completely unaware of, such as "svchost" and "System" (described as "NT Kernel & System).

There appears to be some connection between streaming video and the high CPU Usage, but it doesn't happen only when I try to watch streaming video (although it definitely happens every time I watch a video-- so the high CPU Usage isn't always due to streaming video, but streaming video always causes high CPU Usage).

Sometimes the CPU is able to handle multiple processes at once without so much as a slight hitch, and other times, I can't even watch a 720p HD video in VLC Media Player without the picture skipping and freezing.

I'm running a Dell Precision M6400 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 16 GB of RAM. The reason I purchased such a large amount of RAM was so that the computer could run faster, but now having learned that RAM has almost no direct correlation with processor/CPU power, what can I do to eliminate these spikes?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

You realize you could have set Norton Anti Virus not to scan daily or probably even to scan at a specific time, right?

That's not Windows Explorer, that's explorer.exe - the shell - the graphical user interface. I'm guessing your system is infected. You might want to post in the Am I Infected forum.

#3 Ray AP19

Ray AP19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

You realize you could have set Norton Anti Virus not to scan daily or probably even to scan at a specific time, right?

It doesn't matter though, the system would crash whenever I attempted a scan.

That's not Windows Explorer, that's explorer.exe - the shell - the graphical user interface. I'm guessing your system is infected. You might want to post in the Am I Infected forum.

I've run multiple infection/malware scans, but I'll check out that forum. At the same time, I'm still open to any additional suggestions.

Thank you.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

I doubt you'll get any until you confirm the system is virus free. I'm asking a mod to move this thread to the AII forum for you.

Edited by Budapest, 14 June 2011 - 05:00 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware ~Budapest

#5 Ray AP19

Ray AP19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

I've run anti-virus/malware/spyware/etc. scans from the following programs:

AVG Anti-Virus
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
IObit Malware Fighter
Spybot- Search & Destroy

All of which claim that my system is clean. Are there any further actions I should take?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

I suggest you let BC's folks check for sure - post in the Am I Infected forum.

#7 Ray AP19

Ray AP19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

I suggest you let BC's folks check for sure - post in the Am I Infected forum.

Unless I'm mistaken, this thread is already in the "Am I Infected?" forum.

#8 Ray AP19

Ray AP19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

I've run more scans, and they're still finding nothing but adware, and I'm still having the same issues with my processor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users