Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus? even after reformatting?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MikeNorwich

MikeNorwich

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Vista 64 Ultimate, phenom 9850, mushkin pc 80004gb asus m3n HT mempipe deluxe

Hello,
I have had a problem with my pc for around 3 weeks. I have Mcafee protection running and use various measures to keep my system running smoothly. Anyway to cut to the chase I started having a problem with windows mail. It continuously opens up while I am working on tasks. It also sends me a message saying it cannot open as a precious version is still running. I sometimes receive this message very quickly and repeatedly of over 100 times. The windows mail I have reduced and put to the side in an attempt to ignore it. However it keeps reopening so while I am typing it breaks my type as I have to click on the screen to rid myself of the ever opening mail.
The steps I have taken so far....

-disable windows mail (this released a torrent of messages saying windows mail could not be opened)
-Full virus scan
-ccleaner software
-superantispyware
-vundofix
-malwarebytes
a reformat of hard drive
a repair from startup including bootrec mbr boot and mbrfix

The problem just keeps on recurring!
I do not know what to try next...

Any help/suggestions will be warmly received.

cheers Mike

Edited by MikeNorwich, 15 June 2011 - 04:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

1) Unless it is a boot sector virus (and they are very rare), you almost certainly did NOT format the drive and reinstall from scratch. Viruses do not survive formats.

2) Get rid of McAfee and use ANY other anti virus app. McAfee is THE WORST. Period.

#3 MikeNorwich

MikeNorwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

Well I have reformatted many times and this was no different. I deleted the partition and reinstalled vista! So where do you think I am going wrong with formatting?

thanks Mike

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

If you deleted the partition then I take it back - I don't think you did anything wrong. But there's no way the virus can still be there (unless, as I said, it's a boot sector virus). More likely the problem is not a virus. I don't use Windows Mail so I'm going to suggest someone else may be better able to help you.

#5 MikeNorwich

MikeNorwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:56 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't state earlier but I do not use windows mail either it just started opening by itself.

Mike

#6 MikeNorwich

MikeNorwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

...problem solved

faulty keyboard after all that!!!!!

thanks

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

Well, glad you got it all sorted out. Thanks for posting back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users