Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems after Windows 7 Re-install

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MissyLynn

MissyLynn

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

So a couple weeks ago I was having problems with my Dell Inspiron 1440... when I would turn it on it would seem like it was loading until it reached the log in screen then it went black and the only thing visible was the cursor. I had intended to take it in as all attempts to fix or restore had failed. Finally yesterday I just reinstalled windows. Now it is working but I must not have done something right... when the computer loads up it asks me what I want to run Windows 7 or windows 7... So the old version is still there and the new version is now on my recovery C: and now the recovery C partition is maxed out on space... Not sure what I did or what I should do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

You installed a second version of Windows. I'm assuming you started the installation from within Windows. If you are prepared to start from scratch and delete everything, here's what you do:

Enter the bios and make sure your dvd drive is the first device in the boot order. Save the change and exit. Insert your W7 dvd and reboot. The installation routine will begin. You'll be given the option to format before installing. Choose that option and proceed from there. After installing you'll need to do a few things (in this order):

1) Install the chipset driver followed by all other drivers. Use ONLY the drivers on the disk that came with your computer or download them from Dell Support. Do not use any other drivers.

2) Install a GOOD anti virus app

3) Go to Windows Update and download & install all updates EXCEPT hardware or driver updates. NEVER obtain hw or driver updates via Windows Update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users