Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/D Drive has disappeared and wont run

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Africanlion

Africanlion

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hi
My cd drive/d drive has totally disappeared and doesnt appear when i open my computer folder. Even when i put dvd or cd it just flashes and makes a whirring sound but nothing happens. I have tried system restore with no success

Desperate

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Insert a BOOTABLE disk in the drive, make sure the cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order, and reboot. Does the system see the drive at boot?

#3 Africanlion

Africanlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Insert a BOOTABLE disk in the drive, make sure the cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order, and reboot. Does the system see the drive at boot?

Nothing has changed except i accidentally pulled out the drive (its a laptop you see) when i wanted t change dvd i was watching

How do i change the boot order in th bios

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Boot the system. As soon as it boots you'll see a message on the screen that says something like: Press ???? to enter bios (or setup)

#5 Africanlion

Africanlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:02 PM

Ok let me try that

#6 Africanlion

Africanlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

Allan it didnt work buddy. You meant entering multi boot sector then choosing cd option rather than HDD right

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

I meant to find the boot order in bios and make the cd drive the first device.

#8 Africanlion

Africanlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

I meant to find the boot order in bios and make the cd drive the first device.

Got you now. i pressed F2 on started and took me into bios and i moved CD/DVD to the top of the list, saved the setting and restarted the laptop with th Recvery disck in the drive. However the laptop restarted as normal and nothing happened and still CD drive missing

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

Please confirm that the cd is still at the top of the boot order and that the cd you put in is bootable (do other systems boot to it?). If yes to both, the drive needs to be replaced.

#10 Africanlion

Africanlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

Please confirm that the cd is still at the top of the boot order and that the cd you put in is bootable (do other systems boot to it?). If yes to both, the drive needs to be replaced.

Hi when i restarted it again it did boot from recovery disk but i stopped it before it went further lest it delete everything on the laptop. Meaning its drive worked but its still not showing in my computer folder, what next please

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

Okay, try this:

START - RUN - regedit

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
Exit regedit and reboot

NOTE: before editing the registry you should back it up:

Here are three options:

1) Click on START - RUN and type: Regedit (press ENTER). On the menu bar click on file, then export, choose where you want to save it, then enter a name for it in the box titled: File Name. At bottom put a tick in "All", then click on save. If you ever want to restore the saved version, just IMPORT it.

2) System Restore (it should save a copy daily, but you can always create a restore point manually.

3) The best method, in my opinion, is to download and run ERUNT. It's the best registry backup utility available - and it's free!!!

Edited by Allan, 14 June 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#12 Africanlion

Africanlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

Okay, try this:

START - RUN - regedit

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
Exit regedit and reboot

NOTE: before editing the registry you should back it up:

Here are three options:

1) Click on START - RUN and type: Regedit (press ENTER). On the menu bar click on file, then export, choose where you want to save it, then enter a name for it in the box titled: File Name. At bottom put a tick in "All", then click on save. If you ever want to restore the saved version, just IMPORT it.

2) System Restore (it should save a copy daily, but you can always create a restore point manually.

3) The best method, in my opinion, is to download and run ERUNT. It's the best registry backup utility available - and it's free!!!

hi Allan when i get into
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control, it then gives these options
Controlset001
Controlset002
Currentcontrolset
Lastknowngoodrecovery
Mounted devices
RNG
Select
Setup
WPA

What do i do there mate?

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Try again. You are doing something wrong. Here are step by step instructions: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

And of course, make sure you are logged on in an admin account.

Edited by Allan, 14 June 2011 - 05:30 PM.

#14 Africanlion

Africanlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hi Allan sorry i was away. I carried out those instructions to the t and still didnt work. What to do next please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users