Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potential Virus/Malware/Rootkit Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PRIMEVAL

PRIMEVAL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hi, I'm new...with a computer problem. Go figure.

I have Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3.

Now the problem... one day, doing my usual online ritual in catching up on Youtube subscription videos, my anti-virus at the time (ESET) said it found some sort of virus and needs to restart to completely get rid of it. I figured, I'll wait until this vid is over. Well, the computer asked a few more times before it decided to restart itself. When it finally came back on the desktop... none of the icons came up, my wallpaper disappeared (turned black), all QuickLaunch icons are gone, nothing in Start menu except for My Docs, Computer, Control Panel, and such, and this new "Windows" computer fixer thing came up. Now, I forget what it really was as it only came up once. It said it found all sorts of problems, but I've never seen this pop up before and don't recognize its layout, and assumed it was fake.

I restarted into safe mode, did some scans. Malwarebytes found 35 infections and fixed them. Spybot found nothing, ESET nod32 I think found only a few problems. Even after those are fixed (assuming that pop up was one of them) I'm still having problems. I've tried to use TDSKiller, but it's not working for some reason. Even after renaming it and running it off of my portable hard drive and flash drive. I've tried other Rootkit programs and they came up with nothing. While I managed to get my desktop back for the most part, I can't use the computer for more than a couple minutes before it starts freezing up. First, whatever windows I have open, the Internet browsers don't even get a chance to open, then Windows Explorer freezes (usually when clicking Start). I downloaded Avast anti-virus and it found only one problem. Still, nothing is fixed. I don't know what to do short of complete reformatting. I also disabled all start up programs. All that did was delay the freezing a few more minutes. All System Restore points have been deleted, so that's out of the question.

Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

-Prime

Also, before I forget, when I use the Internet Browsers (Firefox and Opera), Google is slow when typing in the search bar, and when I finally get results, I get redirected to spam sites if I click on the directly. However, I can bypass those by right clicking and opening in a new tab. Kinda odd.

[Edit] Sorry for posting in wrong area...thought I was in the correct one. I hate Safe Mode web browsing -.-

Edited by PRIMEVAL, 14 June 2011 - 02:57 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users