Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers Humming Constantly!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PowersTwinB

PowersTwinB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:03 AM

MY speakers hum constantly all the time...I did do a search here on BleepingComputer.com and found nothing.l I was wondering if I have to buy new speakers? I just want something little for my desk. I have Windows XP, and just had it reformatted. My speakers are Platinum UBL series. My computer is a Compaq. It is about 2 1/2 yrs old. These are the original speakers...I did try and put the volumn up to about 80%, and it helped for a short period of time. Can anyone tell me if I should be buying new ones? can I just purchase computer speakers like at Best Buy? I am not a real sauvy computer user, but I can follow step by step directions. I appreciate any help on this matter...oh, and I must say, "How did I live all this time without your website?" I found many questions answered in the data base about other items of intrest! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

Am I right to assume that the speakers worked before reformatting?

Do you have another set of speakers to plug into this machine to see if that makes a difference?

Please go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

Do you see any yellow or red '!' or '?' listed anywhere in the right panel?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 PowersTwinB

PowersTwinB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

thanks for answering my post Albert ....I did check, there is no device conflictions...no, ! or ? in red. Can I buy little speakers for computers? would I want to buy new ones, and would it resolve the humming? Sorry, I have so many little questions...and thanks for the warm welcome, I really enjoy reading the threads, but I don't understand most of the technical ones lol....yes, the speakers were fine before the reformatting. and that brings me to one more question...should I have been turning them off every night when I shut down my computer? I am embarrassed to say I leave them on usually

Edited by PowersTwinB, 08 January 2006 - 04:50 PM.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

I am still unsure as to what the cause of the problem is. The obvious things would be: are they plugged in to the proper place? Are they plugged ALL of the way in?

You can purchase simple little computer speakers for very little money at any office supply store, or computer retailer, or even just borrow a pair from your neighbor and check and see if that solves the problem.

should I have been turning them off every night when I shut down my computer?

I have never heard of shutting down speakers will make any difference. I use 5 speakers and 1 sub base speaker and NEVER shut them down - no issues so far. <albert knocks on wood> And with your computer being just 2.5 years old, it doesn't seem like they would be worn out at this point, but you never know. Try some different speakers and see if that resolves the issue for you!

I really enjoy reading the threads, but I don't understand most of the technical ones lol

Neither do we! :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

If I may chime in - speakers usually hum for 3 reasons:

1. They are defective - possible but unlikely.

2. They are cheaply (badly) made - all the lower end computer speakers fall into this category.

3. They are picking up interference - most commonly an earth hum caused by bad connections or multiple connections.

Try moving the speakers to a different part of the desk, does the hum change? If so it may be an interference problem.

Most cheap computer speakers get away with their inbuilt hum because people normally only run them on low volume. You said you had yours set to 80% was that the computer volume control or the speaker volume control?
If you have a speaker icon in the taskbar, double-click it to bring up the Volume Control window.
If the speaker is not in the taskbar go to 'Control Panel'>'Sound and Audio Devices' and in the window which opens click the 'Audio' tab. Under "Sound playback" click the 'Volume' button.
Check there is a Microphone slider diplayed. If microphone is not displayed click 'Options' then 'Properties' and tick the microphone box in the list of devices. Check the name of the 'mixer device' shown is the name of your sound card or something like "Realtek AC97" if your sound is onboard.
Unless you are using a mic the 'Microphone' input should be muted to cut down on background noise in your audio. Similarly other sound inputs should be muted unless they are in use. e.g. 'Line In'

You will get better sound from cheap speakers (up to a point) if you have the main 'volume control' high and the speaker volume low.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users