Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Excel 2010 issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FoxtrotCharlie

FoxtrotCharlie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

Greetings,

I have been using Excel 2010 for a few months now and have noticed a number of issues with it. Some of these I have identified and found others online that are having similar issues, and some of them I have not. I was wondering if anyone else has had any of these occur, and if so, if you have have any advice regarding how to resolve for the future.

My data is getting mildly corrupted. One of the most recurring issues is the cell height will sometimes magically change to the maximum (409.5) for one row only when opening a document. This is easily corrected, but then it will do it again on another different row some other time when opening the document. It doesn't happen every time, and it's on random rows. It doesn't really matter much, other than, first, it concerns me that this happening in general, second, if it were to happen to our users, I would be the one getting the call. Fortunately most of our PC's are still running previous versions of MS Office where this wasn't a problem.

Another thing that has happened a few times, and is more concerning, is that sometimes entire cells will open with nothing in them. Again, this isn't the whole document, but just one row. It appears that the row is blank, when it actually contains data. And again this will just magically happen when opening a document. Sooner or later I or one of our users is going to delete what appears to be a blank row and actually end up deleting important data. When I have noticed rows that are blank, I will save the document and close it. When I reopen the document, the blank row will now have the missing data in it again.

Anyone know why this is happening? I never had any problems with Excel 2003 or 2007. And I don't want to sound like a hater of MS products. I really do like MS Office, and Windows 7 as well. I just don't understand how this is randomly happening to my spreadsheets. It's annoying at best, and may corrupt my data at worst. And one day when the rest of our office switches from legacy Office suites to Office 2010, I'm going to be the one getting the call when this happens. It is so random that I can't make heads or tails as to what may be causing it.

Thanks.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it ot pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wiczjr

wiczjr

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

Wow, that is very strange indeed. Try this:

Open excel options.

Select the advanced tab, turn on the cut, copy and sort inserted objects with their parent cells option; under the cut, copy and paste section.

let me know how that turns out :)
Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

#3 FoxtrotCharlie

FoxtrotCharlie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the reply wiczjr. Sorry I was out of the loop for a couple weeks there. I'm actually an accountant for work, and life gets pretty busy at the beginning of the month. Add to it that we just got a huge new client, and I haven't had much time to surf BleepingComputer recently.

I checked the settings in Excel and it turns out that the "cut, copy and sort inserted objects..." option was already check-marked.

I think that it may be a compatibility issue. Some of the documents that I'm using were originally from Excel 2003, so perhaps it's just Excel 2010 not playing nice with the original formatting. Someday when I have some free time, I'm going to research this angle a little more. I may try and cut and paste all of my data out of a couple of the more important documents and see if it makes any difference to get the data into an entirely new document built in 2010.

That's about the best I can think to do. I was really excited when I saw that MS just released Service Pack 1 for Office, but it unfortunately didn't change these behaviors one bit. Since I installed SP1 I'm still seeing the same problems.

Thanks again for trying.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it ot pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users