Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost windows audio

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stevejd58

stevejd58

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hi
Last week I had help from one of your experts to resolve a redirect issue but since using OTC to clean up I have lost windows sound.
basic specs are
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Install Date: 01/04/2011 12:43:51
Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group | | GF7050-M2
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ | Socket AM2 | 2200/200mhz

here is how things stand
I can get sound from media player & winamp
There are no windows sounds available - checked in control panel and play button is greyed out
There is no sound in Firefox 4 or IE8 - Have uninstalled and reinstalled flash,java & silverlight
I have uninstalled and reinstalled my audio drivers (realtec HD audio driver ver 5.10.0.6299)
I have tried to do a repair install of Xp but can't as SP2 won't uninstall and I'd rather not do a clean install (might as well buy 7 if I need to do that again)
used C Cleaners registry tool with no effect, the same with Driver Genius.
some one on the net had luck with installing the K-lite codecs (now uninstalled) but again no joy.

I'm now at a loss what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

Are these the drivers that you used?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 stevejd58

stevejd58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

yes, thats the ones

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

Click Start.

In the search bar type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click the + next to the pane Sound, Video and Game Controllers so it expands, showing all installed hardware.

Take a screenshot of this window and attach the file in your next post.

[I prefer screenshots, but if this is impossible or would require a tremendous amount of time and effort for some reason, an exact report of the mentioned entries would suffice. Include any ! X or ?'s next to the entries.]

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 stevejd58

stevejd58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

As requested

Attached Files

#6 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

According to that, the drivers are installed and the devices are working properly.

When you go to Sounds in Control Panel, are you able to click the drop-down and select something like "default Windows sounds?"

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#7 stevejd58

stevejd58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

There are no windows sounds available - checked in control panel and play button is greyed out

Yes I can see windows default sounds but as I said in my original post, the button is greyed out.

#8 stevejd58

stevejd58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

gave up in the end and bought a copy of 7 and did a clean install
thanks

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

After installing W7, did you remember to install all drivers, starting with the chipset driver? Just a friendly reminder :)

#10 stevejd58

stevejd58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

oh silly me

yes all is sorted now

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

No problem. You're not the first and you won't be the last :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users