Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan Part

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:36 AM

Anyways, I am thinking of having a LAN Party where I live the only problem is I don't really know how to setup the LAN. I have been to a LAN Party before and they had 3 32 port routers and 3 servers in a back room. I just don't really know how all this works. I was looking at routers at NCIX.com and they talk about gigabit ports and now I am all confused. I know one time me and some friends we took 2 4 port routers and hooked up the first ports of each and made a 6 port router. Can we do the same with the 16 or 24... port routers or will it be slow...

I need help
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

I have a 4 port Linksys router with a 3Com used 24 port switch and run a LAN for my kids. I don't have a gaming server we start the game on one desktop them everyone just joins.

Linksys NR041 4 port router

3Com Super Stacker II 24 port

Link to ideas. check out the third post.. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...php/t36931.html
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

Wow 12 computers... why so many

BTW Thanks for the info and just a little question how do you connect the 4 port to the 24 port hub just an ethernet from a port on the router to the hub?

P.S. Would a D-Link DI-604 work with the 24 port hub and about that print server you talked about in the link you gave me does it have to be a special printer or will any printer (usb) do? and about the NAS is that like an external hardrive connected the system if so I would love a little more info on that too on how to set it up cause we got 3 computers and would love to be able to listen to my music collection on any of the computers.

and last thing I would love to be one of your kids they seem lucky... I am 16 and I got to pay for the routers and stuff myself if I want to do it.

Edited by Klinkaroo, 10 January 2006 - 08:32 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

Wow 12 computers... why so many

1-Wife
3-One for each of my kids (twins 6, 13yrs)
1-server
3-For me. One to monitor BC chat room, one to work/play, and one to test software on.
4-For when the kids have friends over.
2-Forget the other two. Just in case.
3 have "20 CRT, the rest have "17 CRT except for the server KVM thru my work computer

BTW Thanks for the info and just a little question how do you connect the 4 port to the 24 port hub just an ethernet from a port on the router to the hub?

You will have a small button on the back labelled MDI/MDI-X. In the MDI-X position it will allow you to plug into the MDI-I port on the switch/hub. That would be port #1 on the hub. By the way I have a hub not a switch. My bad.

P.S. Would a D-Link DI-604 work with the 24 port hub and about that print server you talked about in the link you gave me does it have to be a special printer or will any printer (usb) do? and about the NAS is that like an external hardrive connected the system if so I would love a little more info on that too on how to set it up cause we got 3 computers and would love to be able to listen to my music collection on any of the computers.

D-Link should. If it does not, a crossover cable will make it work with out a MDI-X switch.

Not a special printer you just need a print server. It plugs into the printer then you plug the print server into an available port on the router/hub.

NAS is a stand alone hard drive. It attaches directly to the router/hub and just appears to be another hard drive on your machine. Size is limited by your budget.

Serving music. I would get an old computer and a RAID card and run a server for you music. That way you can add capasity, if you want to, later. Remember BACKUP everything to CD/DVD. It's like insurance, it's only a pain if you never need it. If you need it, it's priceless.

and last thing I would love to be one of your kids they seem lucky... I am 16 and I got to pay for the routers and stuff myself if I want to do it.

Your doing fine. All these computer are old P-III running W2k. Al my network equipment is second hand. I would love to hear how your LAN turns out. Keep us posted, and check out the used computer stores. If you find something I'll be glad to answer your questions.

Good luck.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

Serving music. I would get an old computer and a RAID card and run a server for you music. That way you can add capasity, if you want to, later. Remember BACKUP everything to CD/DVD. It's like insurance, it's only a pain if you never need it. If you need it, it's priceless.

What do you mean by a raid card? I got an old PII would that work?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

Read this. It will describe it better than I can... http://sbc.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

Ok now I know... well if I just got an old PII with a 40 gig hardrive in it is that good and what kind of software do I have to install on the computer to be able to acess them over the network?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

Setup the P-II to Sharing. I would share only the folder you have you music in and not the entire drive. Next use Map a Drive in you Network Neibhorhood to apply access to your computer. This will make the folder on the P-II look like another drive on your computer. If you have W2k I would recommend it for your P-II because of the beefed up security and the very low resources it demands. Install and use SyGate Personal Free Edition. There are several others out there, including ZA but I find this one fairly light on resources.
I would also have at least 256mb of RAM on your P-II.
Althought is will act like a server it is not a real server, but will work find for now. By the way if you run out HD space you can just plug in slave another one, share the drive (since it will not have an OS) and start saving files/music to it.
It's really that easy. I have done it many times.

Good luck.

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:09 PM

Do you know where I could find a shematic or a diagram on how to hook up the router to the hub and the cable modem and stuff so I can see more visually.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

Choose from one of the diagrams that fit your needs at this link

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/diagram/index.asp

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

By the I think I realised that you might not be the best in gaming but I got information about the game server. What it is is when someone creates the game on the computer and everyone joins in he is called a non-dedicated server wich means he is the server where all the information goes and he also plays at the same time. Then you can have a dedicated server wich creates a game but nobody actually plays on the specific machine so it frees up cpu power so more people can play like a 32vs32 battlefield 2 game.

-Edit- damn those 32vs32 are fun planning to have that as the big event at my lan party wish me luck that all the servers will work well

Reply for someone reading this article and wanting to know what diagram I was talking about it is this one

Edited by Klinkaroo, 25 January 2006 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users