Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:49 AM
Hi guys, I've got a nasty virus on a laptop that I cna't get rid of (not yet anyway) I have not yet run HijackThis! or GMER, however I have run ComboFix, it found and deleated a file on the D drive called installer.exe. No changes. Here are the symptoms:
1) When booting into normal startup it takes about 5 minutes to get to the desktop. That is from the time I see the Windows Loading screen until the screen goes black.
2) Once I have officially logged in the screen is black. All I see is the mouse courser. Pressing ctrl alt del does nothing. Neither does pressing the Windows key.
3) Booting into safe mode brings up the desktop and the computer workes fine then.
4) All of the System Recovery files have been deleated.
5) Going to the Avast website brings up the "This site has been marked as harmful and is being blocked" screen.
6) If I make any changes to startup using the msconfig command and then restart the computer the system will hang on the Windows loading screen, restart, and then revert itself back to the way it was before (black screen)
7) I cant run a virus scan (or do anything else) in Avast (this isnt really the virus's fault, avast dosent work in safe mode.)
I'll post the logs of HijackThis! tonight, but I would like if anyone has any suggestions to help me out before then.