Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Malware. Trojan.Tibia and possibly more

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sismetic

Sismetic

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hello, thank you for helping :P. (I reposted this, because I saw it was on a wrong thread and obviously not getting responses due to this)

I have a serious malware infection on my brother's computer. He downloaded a file, which after running it(I told him to download from a certain source, and he downloaded from other sources, which 90%+ of the time are infected) made the system act weird.

First it only showed an error message like this:

svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 'series of numbers and letters' referenced at memory '0x0000000'. The memory could not be "written"

And then, I could not connect to internet(still cant).

Then I came here to bleepingcomputer.com, and saw posts and threads. And tried to run MalwareBytes, GMER and other applications(via USB), but whenever I tried to open them, or nothing would happen or a black console windows would appear and dissapear(in less than a second) really quickly. But that only happens with applications which I pass through the USB, as I dont have internet, I can't download them or anything. I've tried renaming them (for example to explorer.exe, iexplorer.exe, Google Chrome.exe), changing the extension( for example to explorer.com, explorer.scr- which displayed an error saying that scr wasnt a valid extension recognized by Win32-), running .reg files(supposedly to solve that problem), and nothing has worked.

Ran SFC.exe and it did not ask for my Windows XP disk(which according to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html is because everything is ok), also I've tried resetting winsock, via a Winsock XP Fix application, but to no avail.

Also ran Avast!(a free version and with updates) and Spybot S&D(with no updates though, because I cant download them) and they didn't show anything.

I also ran Hijack This! but the files changed its content(somehow, probably the malware) to nonsense(weird characters).

I browsed through the history(of the browser- Firefox -) and downloaded on my pc the downloaded files(sanboxed of course), and ran them through virustotal.com

So, I can't pass non-binary files back or forth the infected computer, nor execute binary files(except the ones already on the system). Cannot connect to internet, it apparently made changes on kernel(my dad says) and/or regedit.

I also searched for 'tibia' on the regedit, and it showed me some entries. I deleted them, but they appeared again. My dad says it's because an .exe or .bat is re-writting them. Also can't delete the folder in which the malware resides. Or it doesn't let me, or it appears again in another folder. Ie, F:/RECYCLER234013-2542/ and G:/RECYCLER25934-343.

The system infected is a Windows XP package 2. I've also ran all of tests on Safe Mode(gave same results).

I would appreciate ANY help at all, thank you for your time.

Oh, and here's the link to the virustotal report(as the trojan has many aliases) for information. Thank you:

VirusTotal Report

Edited by Sismetic, 14 June 2011 - 09:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 invision

invision

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

Which version of Widows are you running ?

1. Please logon using Safe Mode > Safe Mode with Networking

2. Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

#3 Sismetic

Sismetic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the quick response. The problem is that I can't connect to internet(even with Safe Networking Mode),so I cant download MBAM, and it doesn't run applications passed through an USB. So I can't run MBAM, I already tried the troubleshooting post, but nothing on it worked. I cant run any new applications, can't download any, nor pass any kind of information correctly via USB(if it's an application, it doesnt run, if it's an archive it returns empty, if its text it returns bogus).

Edited by Sismetic, 14 June 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#4 invision

invision

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

Let's manually check some settings

1. Network connections

Go to Control Panel>Network Connections and select your local network.
Click Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
Click Properties.

What's in here?

2. Display hidden files and folder

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

3. Check HOSTS file

Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot% \system32\drivers\etc, and then click OK

Note If you are using 64 bit version of Windows, type %systemroot% \SysWOW64\drivers\etc.

Open HOST with notepad and paste the content here.

4. Check Proxy setting on IE

From Internet Explorer click on Tools > Options > Connections > Lan Settings

What's in here?

Edited by invision, 14 June 2011 - 10:14 AM.

#5 snake88usa

snake88usa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

How about a boot cd?
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

If you boot into the Mini Windows XP mode, there is a few antivirus programs that comes with it. Example: "SuperAntiSpyware"

#6 Sismetic

Sismetic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

On properties it looks as if the TCP/IP its not installed because I cant view its properties(nothing happens when I click the button) and it's the only option that has the uninstall button disabled.

NOTE: I will be posting here as soon as I follow the instructions. Btw, I can't paste the contents, because Im writing from another computer, and I can't pass the information from the infected pc to this one(tried it with a HijackThis! log- it looked fine on the infected computer, but whenever I put it on the USB and connected the USB on my computer it would display just bogus characters-)

@Snake.- Thanks, Ill do what Invision says, and then try the booting from the cd. Thanks :)

Edited by Sismetic, 14 June 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#7 snake88usa

snake88usa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

Welcome, Also from that boot cd, If you know where the malware is, you can go to it in an explorer window and delete it.

#8 Sismetic

Sismetic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

Ok, thanks Snake, I will do that, after Invision's instructions. I think I have located the folder where the malware is, but I cant be sure, because it appears as if it changes locations. It's weird :P

Oh and I cant pass the host file correctly, here's what it contains(after passing it through the USB, it looks OK on the infected computer, some IP addresses and comments):

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~€‚ƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š‹ŒŽ‘’“”•–—˜™š›œžŸ ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬­®¯°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö÷øùúûüýþÿ

Fill with characters like that. Im going to try and pass-protect the file or something like that, or make it only readable

Edited by Sismetic, 14 June 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#9 Sismetic

Sismetic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

@Snake Thanks man, I downloaded the .zip file, extracted the ISO, burned it, changed the booting order and ran Mini Windows XP, and then tried to install MBAM, but couldnt do it, then tried Dr Web's CureIt! in PEM mode, but it got stucked, then ran it on normal(express scan) and it found a BackDoor.TDSS4005, after that, the system recovered the internet connection. And now Im running the complete scan, but it appears as if Im malware free. Thanks man!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users