Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor turning off (and on) more or less randomly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carpetman

Carpetman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope this is the correct place for my issue.

I have a 4 year old computer with a Athlon64 4200+, Nvidia 7950GT Pci-E card and WinXP that has run games very well with at 1280x1024 on my lcd monitor.
A year ago I bought a Fw900 crt monitor with 1920x1200 and happily gamed on.
But six months ago the monitor began turning off randomly- funny thing is that the computer was still running...
Just 'no signal input' and an orange button.
So I restarted the computer - no biggie. I tried to switch the monitors, but the same happened on both of them.

However, recently in BOOTING, not necessarily after a monitor-blackout, the bios-post and screen with the green windows-loading bar are covered by short, horizontal green or red lines stacked on each other in 4 vertical lines. After that, a lot of thick white horizontal lines appear, and then the monitor turns off while the computer seems to continue booting.
I soon found out that by booting in 'safe mode' with the minimum drivers after a blackout, the computer would boot and run fine. NOTE: When reading the drivers on safe booting there are red lines on the screen.
Then I could restart in 'normal mode' with the newest nvidia drivers until the blackout occurred again. Therefore it seems to be a software, rather than hardware, related error.

However in GAMING, even with my old, tiny lcd monitor the graphic card now heats up to 100+ degrees C which causes red dots on the screen. Within two minutes the monitor turns off. Years back I did notice that the gpu was running very hot, but it didn't cause any problems... This is supposedly my graphic card dying after the use of a higher resolution and insufficient cooling.

BUT! Within the last month the monitor has been more frequent in blackouts - for example when I was updating Adobe flashplayer. When it reached 100% and I could press done, the monitor turned off.
And it keeps getting worse and more mysterious. Today I was playing/streaming a music track on a webpage and halfway through the track, the monitor turned off :-/
Well, instead of just rebooting instantly I let it play (the music was still playing) and pressed F4 to try and shutdown the webpage, but the music and the blank screen lived on. Funny thing is that when the track was over, the monitor turned on and the webpage was gone!

The windows log states no problems except a warning about a mouse driver, but the blackouts are getting more and more frequent and random.
I know it is a lot of information and that I probably should just get a new computer, but I don't see why I should if I can fix the random blackouts and live without gaming.

I sure hope someone can help/point me in a direction.

Regards Carpetman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

I'd start by trying a different video card. If you purchase it from a retailer who will accept returns you have nothing to lose.

#3 Carpetman

Carpetman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

Yeah that's a good suggestion! But I guess it's all or nothing for me since the rest of the computer is rather old and has occasionally shown ram and system/dll errors and I don't have a windows disc...
If I can fix the random blackout-problem I don't want to buy a new gpu or computer.

Well what do you know... I just opened MOH Airborne in 1280x1024 and the gpu stayed below 90 C. Only problem was that some red dots temporarily came on the screen and that I practically couldn't get pass the game menu because of an awful studding where the picture would freeze for about 5 seconds every 10 seconds. Any ideas of why?

This is getting weird because I know for a fact that I can play Red Faction 1 and Far Cry 1. EDIT: No, there is also studdering in these games...
Seems to be a driver or heat issue more than an actual hardware malfunction. But there is still the random blackouts.

Help?

Edited by Carpetman, 15 June 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#4 Carpetman

Carpetman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:16 AM

Okay I guess it's not the most straight case there has been on this forum but I do need help : /
How about someone point me in a direction by explaining what green or red vertical lines on the windows loading-bar-screen, followed by horizontal thick white lines and then a blackout, can mean...

Regards Carpetman

#5 Carpetman

Carpetman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

Wee new clue...
The motherboard just beeped 1 long and 3 short beeps which indicates that there is a problem with the graphics.
But is it for sure the card or could it be a bad dvi--> vga adapter?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

I have a suggestion that might work and won't cost a thing to try.

Remove the video card from the PCI-E slot, mildly clean off the copper connection strips on the video card using a brush, such as a toothbrush, then gently clean the PCI-E slot out with the brush, then re-seat the video card into the PCI-E slot and boot up the computer again.

See if this corrects the problem.

In case you want to know why I suggested this procedure, I'll explain.

The major problems with the way computers are put together is the fact the parts are simply fitted together, metal against metal to form an electrical connection.
What happens over a period of time is metals oxidize and corrode, this causes resistance in the circuits involved which isn't good, the circuit eventually fails because the current can no longer cross the barrier oxidation and corrosion causes.

The key to resolving the barrier problem is to remove that barrier, this is why I suggest trying the brush treatment and see if the card functions correctly again.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Carpetman

Carpetman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hm I have cleaned as you recommended and also removed dust from the GPU-cooler, but to no avail. There are still 3 short beeps.
Any more bright ideas? ;-)

#8 Carpetman

Carpetman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:43 AM

I use a Geforce 7950GT. There is a small aircooler on top, but no vrm-blocks.

Well I can't turn on the computer to check temps, but I recall that under load the cpu cores were 45C (Athlon 64 4200+), MB was 40C and geforce card was 90-100 or so. I got those temps from HW Monitor. HDD and other components were fine.

But have no idea what the vrm temps were, if that's what you're asking for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users