Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista to win7 due to new hardware & backing up with HDD formmated on vista???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miniq

miniq

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hey guys ive just bought a lode of new hardware..
and from what ive read & heard the best option is to do a fresh install once I install the hardware..
So my plan is to backup my data then fresh install win7 on my desktop HD

Ive just found an old laptop HD which will be wired with an IDE cable to my desktop in order to transfer data to it
This HDD has data on I dont mind bieng wiped & had XP installed on it.

So i'm wondering whether I can formatt this drive once I plug it in to my desktop with vista, then transfer my data over onto it, then unplug it, install windows 7 onto my desktop HD then transfer my files onto the desktop harddrive rom the laptop harddrive which was formatted with vista.

Will windows 7 recgonize & be able to read the files on the backup/laptop data harddrive?

(I also bought an IDE 44 to 40 pin so I can connect my 2.5" laptop HD to my desktop pc)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

Yes

#3 miniq

miniq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

^^ Simple as that eyyy... I'll give it a go I'm sure it'll work & if not ive just discovered another family member owns a 1TB external HD -.- lol :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users