Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start .exe files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pwoodyx

Pwoodyx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:51 AM

.exe files won't start up, keeps asking to choose a program to open with. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

Morning Pwoodyx. I would guess that you might have been hit with a virus, since the prompt you're getting is pretty similar to what happens when you do.

I would suggest moving this topic to the "Am I infected" forum and post the required logs/reports.

And, of course, give as much information as possible about your O/S, your computer, etc. More information is always better.

Here's a quick link to further (better) explain what I mean:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic41987.html

And here's the link to get the process started:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic182397.html

It seems like a lot of reading, but if you've been here any amount of time, you know that the BC community is pretty good at getting these Bleepin' Computers back up and running.

And, in case you haven't, I would also try all the obvious; updating and running complete scans with any and all Antispyware / AntiMalware and AV software you've already got on your machine. In the event of any of these apps failing, any pop ups or messages can also be helpful to the staff that will be helping you clean your machine.

Good luck.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:54 AM

Restore Default Windows 7 File Extension Type Associations http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

If file extension need rebuilt, what happened to them? Something caused this to happen. I would advise doing what Winterland1965 has posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users