Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What systems can I turn off in System Config

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:49 AM

Hello,

I looked in System Configuration on my W7 Ultimate.....There are 80 systems running. Which ones can I shut off to make my pc run faster with W7 and not mess it up. This is just after I rebooted I didn't have anything open yet. Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:18 AM

best left alone,but some could be set to manual and if you do alter any don't do it in msconfig ,do it in control panel /admin tools /services ,try adding more ram if needed ,or try editing the programs that start up when computer boots ,check startup ,post a snapshot of that,

Edited by caperjac, 14 June 2011 - 05:25 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:41 AM

Don't use msconfig to make permanent changes to startup processes. Download and use an app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) or Sysinternals' Autoruns (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902) to manage startup items.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

1) I agree with both posts above

2) If you still want to mess with the configuration, look here: http://www.blackviper.com/category/guides/windows-7/

#5 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Great thanks for the info. I have 12gb's or patriot DDR3 triple ram 1600mhz. Should I get more? Is it even worth messing with these systems to get better performance? Maybe I will just change some stuff on the start up only. I will be getting a 250gb SSD drive soon. I think this will help on my i7 970 system.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Are you having any specific problems with the system? If not, leave well enough alone. Messing around is more like to cause problems than solve them.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

no need for more ram ,but if you want you could post image of the startup items

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users