Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Coding problem child... Internet Explorer of course

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KittiDS

KittiDS

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

I created a simple little site for our local volunteer fire department and even though it works fine in FireFox, Chrome, and Safari - it is a genuine mess in IE (all versions.) It's still pretty much just a skeleton right now, but I'd hate to move forward and start adding content before I can get it working properly in ALL browsers.

It passed the W3 validation, but I'm still just a green horn and I'm not sure how I can figure out what IE doesn't like about my coding.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:39 PM

Can you post some of the code? IE has it's own challenges but there are definitely a few tricks to be learned!
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 KittiDS

KittiDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:18 AM

The website is www.wagesvfd.com

Any help, suggestions or resources would be awesome! :flowers:

Edited by groovicus, 28 June 2011 - 06:57 AM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

It would help to also know specifically what issue you are trying to address. (Besides the mozilla specific code you used to try and position the feedback button)

Edited by groovicus, 28 June 2011 - 07:03 AM.

#5 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,050 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

I agree with Groovicus about some more info, as well as what exactly you mean by a "genuine mess" in IE. For me the site displays perfectly in Firefox 5, but in Internet Explorer 8 I get a large black background covering most of the page, as well as a PREV and NEXT button at the bottom that doesn't belong.

I don't have much time to look over the source right now, but I would try commenting out your SCRIPT tags and see if they are causing the issue. Best of luck!
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

I forgot to mention that other than the aforementioned button, the site renders just fine in IE9 and looks basically the same as it does in Firefox.

#7 sonexpc

sonexpc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

I use in IE 8 and have problem ..

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Timestamp: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 19:39:25 UTC

Line: 932
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: http://www.jotform.com/min/g=feedback

Line: 165
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: http://www.wagesvfd.com/js/lightbox.js

==============================================
check the javascript..
and is the link misstype ... should be "?g=feedback" instead of "g=feedback"..

#8 Nick Beranek

Nick Beranek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

I would recommend using HTML5 Boilerplate, or at least a reset.css file like Eric Meyer's Reset CSS. By resetting the styles you'll be able to have a clean slate, so to speak, with each of the browsers. It renders fine in IE9. Use Adobe Browserlab to check earlier versions of IE. NOTE: After resetting your styles (make sure the reset.css file is called before your default.css), you may need to tweak some margins and padding, particularly with <p> and <ul>.

I hope this helps!
Nick Beranek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users