Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bird6622

bird6622

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Hello
I am having problems with a slow computer. I am running win xp sp3 1.16 gig athlon processor 1 gig ram
when I open task manager the cpu usage is jumping between 10% and 100%. The greatest part is winlogon. When I click on the performance tab the graph looks like a heart beat, but the pf usage is steady. This seemed to have started after downloading a mcfee update.
Any Suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:46 AM

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:50 AM

First thing you want to do is uninstall any and all McAfee products. They are notoriously terrible. Replace McAfee with ANY other anti virus app.

If the problem continues, try a selective startup. Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#4 bird6622

bird6622
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks
I will try uninstalling mcafee and see if it helps

#5 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

Once you've uninstalled McAfee, I suggest downloading and installing Microsoft Security Essentials.

Edited by TheShooter93, 14 June 2011 - 09:41 PM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,569 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:29 AM

Yes - after uninstalling McAfee please do not run the system for any period of time without installing another AV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users