Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outdated XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 portsteel

portsteel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

So I am pretty jeep when it comes to computers, it seems i used to know more when I was younger using the command prompt on my family's first computer, i'm 26 by the way. Anyways i am operating a vintage 2005 Dell desktop and I am wondering if it is more easy on the wallet to all out get a new computer or are there any cheap ways to improve the performance. Any help is greatly appreciated, I have already upgraded to a 2 gig memory.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Minimize unnecessary applications that want to load on start up.

Have you scanned for viruses/malware yet?
If so, which programs did you use.

Defragment the hard drive.

Those are all free ways.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

1) What problems are you experiencing with the system that you wish to correct?

2) What are the specs of the system. Old isn't necessarily bad.

#4 portsteel

portsteel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

Eyesee - i have used Malwarebytes and scan on a frequent basis, I also defrag the drive on the regular.
Allan - well the problem is that it isn't operating as quick as I would like even though i have doubled the memory speed from what it was, and now Google Chrome is just shutting down unexpectedly and for no reason but I use the restore button and it goes back to the page I was on. It is more annoying than anything else. It is a 2005 Dell Dimension E310 with a 52.7 gig hard drive with an additional 18 gig back up, and btw chrome has shut down twice since i have started typing this reply.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Okay, well the age and makeup of the system isn't the reason Chrome is shutting down. Whatever is causing that, it isn't the fact that the computer is 6 years old. And please define what specifically isn't as "quick as you'd like". Again, if you are specific we might be able to offer some thoughts.

Also, do other browsers work okay or do they close unexpectedly as well?

#6 portsteel

portsteel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

Well I am glad to report that chrome isn't shutting down anymore, i fixed Malwarebytes and it notified me of something which i promptly removed and it is not shutting down anymore.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

I have several systems older than yours and they all work just as well as my newer systems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users