Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot Up Properly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tide-kun the Otaku Gamer

Tide-kun the Otaku Gamer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:02 AM

The computer has been slow lately from trying to download the 1st episode of Fooly Cooly to put on my gig stick I got for xmas, so I though I'd have a problem when msn wouldn't start up, and yim, so my friend on aim gave me the link to avast.

My problem is that my computer went to restart after the installation of an anti-virus software and it froze while in check, after nothing happend for a bit, I turned off the computer (prob part of the prob) and boots up normal, until it gets to the Welcome blue screen, it loads a little slower than normal, and after that it loads up the wallpaper and the cursor. But then it stops, nothing will work other than shift 5 times (I tell it no, but I wanted to see if it would work) ctrl-alt-delete doesn't work either. When I tap the power button or put it in standby, it trys to end program say that explorer.exe didn't work. I can restart in system settings, or system restore.

After getting fed up with it, I asked my dad if he minded if I system restored my computer, he said that I could but he would work with it today, that I would have to do all the work on it if I did system restore it, and my network adapter is a pain to get working after installation. So I'd prefer that to be my last resort.

My computer hasn't had anything but a firewall for the last year or two, and with downloading, games, and IMing and browsing its never had anything get to it (it has to go through this computers crap that my dad put on it from prev virus probs) and 2 routers before it supposably hits my firewall (thats the theory I've heard of my connection) If anyone has any help I would like to thank you in advance, and thank you for taking time to read my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

A couple of ideas to get you started:

If you are infected, then often Anti-Virus will not install correctly, or in some cases just not work properly.

If you are running two A/V programs there may be conflicts.

Try uninstalling the recently installed A/V program and see if some of the problems dissapear.

Also, it would help to know what type of internet connection you have (i.e. dialup, DSL, or Cable) and more specs on your computer (i.e. RAM amount, what firewall you are using, etc)

You mention that you download quite a bit. From what sites? Limewire? Kazaa?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Tide-kun the Otaku Gamer

Tide-kun the Otaku Gamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

The only Anti-virus program I know of is the one I installed last night before the computer froze up, and I can't get into it to un-install it, it doesn't load up that much when it boots up, just gets to the wallpaper, no icons, no taskbar.

I have Direcway, it has a 100MB download limit per day, on a good day with clear skies, I can get about 500kbs dl/50kbs ul speed.

Lately I've been downloading alot of stuff such as a Converter (PSP Video 9 and Avisynth) tried dling Bit Torrent and Bit Tornado, but the torrents of the episode I was looking for were too big, so I was gonna uninstall after running a virus scan. I tried downloading with flashget the first episode of the show, but after dling it real player said that the file didn't exsist.

Computer is an HP Pavilion a305w (one of the walmart cheapo ones) intel Celeron processor, I think the RAM is a 256mb, and the firewall is the one that came defualt with the computer, its your plain out of the box computer with nothing extra on it. I use IE for browsing on that computer, and I noticed that even though Google blocker was on and stopped alot of pop-ups, it still had about 3 everyload in the page. right now I'm on my dads computer, which is teh host of our 3 computer network. My computer, my dads pc, and his laptop.

#4 Tide-kun the Otaku Gamer

Tide-kun the Otaku Gamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, my dad said the only thing I could do would be to do a system restore, so since I need to use it today, I'm going to go ahead and do it, if there was anything that could help, post if for anyone else with the problem.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, my dad said the only thing I could do would be to do a system restore, so since I need to use it today, I'm going to go ahead and do it, if there was anything that could help, post if for anyone else with the problem.

That might be a good option, especially considering the type of computer, how it is used, and your time constraints. Formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the operating system takes care of most issues (if they are software related), but some infections can survive this operation.

It is often suggested here at Bleeping Computer to do a low level format before a regular format. A free utility for doing this is called Kill Disk and can be downloaded HERE. Follow the instructions, put Kill Disk on a 3.5" floppy disk, it will self boot as long as your computer's bios has been told to boot from a floppy before booting from the hard drive. Then run the program, and it will actually write over all of the data, then you can restore your system with the original manufacturer's disk - performing a regular format first as usual.

Not sure if my explanation was all that clear, so if you have any other issues or questions as you perform this operation, let us know! We like to help!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

I think before you do any formatting, you should try and look in safemode to see whats going on.

If you dont know how to boot safe mode,

When you restart your computer, tap F8 before your BIOS loads, you will get a selected prompt of how you want to start your computer. Select safe mode.

It may be a different key than F8, it depends on your motherboard.

If you already knew that, just skip it.

Once you get to safe mode, go to start, run, and msconfig. click the start up tab and see what all you have going on when you start up. If you have too many programs running at start up, that will cause your computer to drag. So, it would be advisable, if you do have alot, to turn some of these programs off, if you know how. Im sorry for the lack of instructions, im at school right now. But locate the avast system start up files, Im not sure what they would be called, because i've never used avast before.. When you find them, turn them off. Reboot your computer, and see if that works. If not, try uninstalling avast through safe mode, if that still doesnt work, then try the system restore/formatting ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users