Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, JPG files: Association

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 constantine2070

constantine2070

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

All of sudden, now I canít open to edit any pic files in My Pictures. When I try, I get: ďThis file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folders Options control panel.Ē Iíve never had a problem before now, nor made any changes to anything Iím aware of. No problems with any other files. I've gone to Folder Options, chosen JPG as default change (it was already chosen), and checked Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as default. Nothing changed... Bleeping computer!
My Errors files has a repeated "Application Error" last dated 6/11/11: Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, fault address 0x000094a6. That's all that's there; if it helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:38 AM

I would try a repair install of XP, using a disk that reflects the current SP which is installed...or run the sfc /scannow command, again with a disk reflecting same SP as the O/S installed.

I would suspect file damage.

Alternately...I would try running the chkdsk /r command.

Did you change the settings for both the .jpg and .jpeg extensions?

As a test/workaround...you could download/install Irfanview and change the program affiliated for all graphic files.

Louis

#3 constantine2070

constantine2070
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for replying, Louis.

I don't have an XP disk.
Also, I'm otherwise not very computer savy to fully understand what you've instructed.
But, yes, I changed both jpg and jpeg as part of my first attempt, without success.
Can you help me, please?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.

Reboot the system...the chkdsk /r will begin and complete...then boot into Windows.

Louis

#5 constantine2070

constantine2070
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

Nothing changed.
Now I've discovered the same thing happens when I try to open any of My Documents files other than Works files.
So I can't open any of my pics, regardless of file type; and I can't open any of My Documents other than Works, not Word, Rich Text, etc. All I get is: ďThis file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folders Options control panel.Ē

On another note, I can open all my files I've previously written onto CDs, but now I can't write/copy anything to any CD-RW or CD-R, not even unused new ones.

...I'm going insane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users