Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What To Keep, What To Get Rid Of

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lula

lula

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:32 AM

As someone was so helpful about my last enquiry, and reading some of the great help here, could someone just hep me sort out my confusion about Protection Methods.
I am currently running Norton Internet Security, which has integrated firewall and antispam.
I also have Spyware Doctor running
I have Ad Aware that I use for back up scanning
I have just downloaded Avast which I really like, but it conflicts with Norton so one of them has to go

My problem is this. I would like to get rid of the Norton totally, and use Avast instead.This means I will lose the Norton Firewall as well, so is my Windows firewall adequate or should I download another and disable the Windows?

Are Avast and Ad Aware enough protection in conjunction with Spyware Doctor?

If I uninstall Norton, whats the actual process- should I exit it, reboot so Avast is working fully, then uninstall the Norton completely? Do I need to be connected to the Internet to do this and will I be protected during the uninstall?

Sorry to be such a lamer, but I really am computer illiterate although trying very hard not to be. I have the added problem that my computer speaks mainly Italian as I am based in Italy.

I really appreciate any help offered, as I seem to be spending all my time now in a state of anxiety about antiviruses and etc, and very little time actually enjoying my computer..thanks guys once again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:03 AM

You are not lame. You asked very good questions. The lame person just would have sat out there and do nothing.
There are several very good freeware firewall products on the internet...

Firewalls(Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

I prefer SyGate. Ironicly SyGate is a Symantic product. I do not like thier Norton line.
You will need the NIS removal tool...

Norton AntiVirus Removal tool
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

Free browser security programs:
SpywareGuard [protects your homepage from being hijacked]: How to Use Tutorial
SpywareBlaster [non-resident utility that blocks known malware sites by adding them to IE's restricted sites zone]: How to Use Tutorial
IE-SPYAD [blocks even more malware sites by adding hem to IE's restricted sites zone]: Install-Uninstall Tutorial

Free malware scanning/removal programs:
Ad-Aware SE
Spybot S&D
MS AntiSpyware beta
Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 lula

lula
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:46 PM

Thanks both for all the great ideas. Im going to be brave and uninstall the Norton Security and yes I will use that tool. I will replace it with the Avast and
I will keep the Ad Aware for scans a few times a week. I'm going to read up properly on how to use Spybot S and D as Ive read so many good reports about it, so I will prob get that too. I'll keep the PC Tools spyware doctor for the time being although it tends to be a bit overzealous sometimes, and I'll grab me a new Firewall from the list there. Oh and I'm going to check out the browser security programmes as well...

I hope I haven't forgotten anything, and thanks again for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users